Tritoon boat lift parking advice...lift conversion from sea doo islandia

Jag148

Recruit
Hello everyone

I'm converting my lakeside lift boat lift that is currently set up for a center line pair of carpeted bunks housing my just sold 22 sea doo Islandia.

I'm buying a 27' avalon tritoon with a 250 merc.

I'm looking through the sites and can't get an experienced answer, consistently.

How about some advice;

Avalon catalina 27' wave glide, with under deck aluminum and 250 merc verado

Should I go to carpeted bunks? Should they be 16' long? Will the carpet or the pressure treated wood stain the aluminum?
Is there another choice?

When I park the boat, should I add a motor stop to the front of the lift? This hits the lower unit? I know I'm proceeding slowly, but?

The weight distribution....am I resting the back part of the logs onto 16' of bunk rail, which allows about 10' of log suspended?

Should I consider using a beam mounted pair of guides if I'm coming in with wind?

I know there are quite a few experienced boaters out there and I would certainly appreciate your advice.

Have a great day.

ahicks

Captain
Re: Tritoon boat lift parking advice...lift conversion from sea doo islandia

Can I suggest that you might want have a look at how a bunk type trailer might support your boat, then go with something along those lines?

Also, carpet is a constant hassle on a lift. Seems like it has to be replaced all the time, and by time you get around to it, it's been looking tattered for months?

Make sure the back of the bunks (or whatever you go with) support the logs far enough back to catch the seams. That's generally where the logs have the most strength.

Some type of motor stop a good plan too. The engine hitting the rear cross member of the lift would be something I would try to avoid.

Last, if your 'toon and lift are used anything like ours, consider that the lift may need to support not just the weight of the boat properly, it may spend a lot of it's time at the dock, while fully loaded (being staged for that cruise you're about to leave on)!

Bamaman1

Lieutenant Commander

Should I go to carpeted bunks? Should they be 16' long? Will the carpet or the pressure treated wood stain the aluminum?
Is there another choice? I get indoor outdoor carpet off the rack at Lowes and install it with 1 1/4" galvanized roofing nails, and it's cheap to replace when it ages. Do not use pressure treated wood to ever touch aluminum as chemicals in it can react with aluminum. I wouldn't suggest using 16' bunks if your boat is over 23', especially since your 250 Verado is such a leadweight. You need another 4'. (My 23' tritoon is sitting flat on a rack with two 16' 2x8's under each toon--plain yellow southern pine.)

When I park the boat, should I add a motor stop to the front of the lift? This hits the lower unit? I know I'm proceeding slowly, but? Carpet where the motor hits.

The weight distribution....am I resting the back part of the logs onto 16' of bunk rail, which allows about 10' of log suspended? Addressed above. You need longer supporting bolsters under a 27' boat.

Should I consider using a beam mounted pair of guides if I'm coming in with wind? It depends on the wind/wave/water conditions where your boat's docked. I use outside carpeted guides 3' above the rack my boat sits on--flared to the outside. When I come in, the boat automatically centers itself on the rack. Most people need guides of some kind unless they're docked on glassy, protected water.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Have you contacted the manufacturer of your lift to see what they suggest?

OK Toon

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I'm not familiar with your brand of lift but we converted our Hydrohoist lift from a V-hull setup to bunks for our pontoon. As was previously mentioned, don't use treated lumber. Our pontoon is only 22' so I went with 16' bunks. Our hoist is in a slip at our dock and when the hoist is in the lowered position, it hangs a few feet below the boat as we pull into the slip. I rigged up ropes with clips that I attach to the cleats on all 4 corners of the boat -- this centers the boat in the slip. Then all I have to do is hold it up to the front of the slip till the lift comes up and touches the pontoons. I need to move my lift back about 2' in the slip to support more of the weight from the fuel tank and 90hp motor. But when the dock was built back in the mid 80's, the idiots welded the lift to the dock frame instead of bolting it. So to move it will be much more of a hassle. But still being able to use the lift and not have to load and unload the boat every time, is awesome. We get a lot more use out of the boat and take more impromptu joy rides.