Buying a new pontoon, need recommendations.

dubya1982

Seaman Apprentice
We bought our first pontoon last year and didn't know what we were looking for, how much we would use it, how much we were comfortable spending, etc.. Well after a year we have used it quite a bit and are ready to sell the one we bought last year (we've been quite unhappy with it) and upgrade to a higher quality one.

Can you recommend some good toons for us to look at? We are willing to spend a moderate amount for better quality, but I can't afford a Bennington. I want someone with good quality that will last us many years to come. We want a tritoon with about 150hp motor. I've looked at a few Suntrackers and there are a couple of the Party Barge models that we like. I also looked at G3 and Sweetwater.

What would you recommend for us to look at? We'd like to stay at $35K or less.

lakegeorge

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Buying a new pontoon, need recommendations.

We love our Berkshire and it will fit your budget. I don't like our 150 merc. 4 stroke I would go with Yamaha.

The Rooster

Ensign

Can you be more specific about the quality issues you were having? What brand of barge are we talking about? There are probably a dozen or so manufacturers that could fill your needs for close to that price. Which are closest to you?

dubya1982

Seaman Apprentice

Can you be more specific about the quality issues you were having? What brand of barge are we talking about? There are probably a dozen or so manufacturers that could fill your needs for close to that price. Which are closest to you?

Sure thing. We had an Encore and it was all plastic, exposed screws, just cheaply made in general. Had quality issues and no customer service from the manufacturer.

We would like a tritoon but will settle for a pontoon if we can't find a tritoon in our price range. We would like at least 150 horses, 22 - 26 feet long, quality made boat. Would like to stay under 35k.

If you could point us at a few brands is appreciate it. What do you think about Suntracker? How about Lowe or Sylvan?

coresuper

Seaman

Bought a Sylvan 24' fishing series and love it. Compared it to the Suntracker before purchase. Sylvan was built much better, in my opinion. Compare the welds, deck supports and amount of bolts to secure floor to supports, just to name a few. Went with the Evinrude ETEC motor.