Short Pontoon, Clearance Problem on Trailer

Underblog

Seaman Apprentice
I have a 16' Leisure Island pontoon boat with a 25hp Johnson on it. The smallest scissor-lift trailer I could get at T & M Marine in Grand Rapids is one made for 19-21 ft pontoons. The problem is that the motor mount that hangs off the frame fouls one of the three supports on the scissor lift. The end result is that we cannot get all of the pontoon onto the trailer.

What we did last season was slip lumber underneath the pontoon frame so that the pontoon would ride higher. Not the most elegant solution, nor the most stable.

Does anyone here have any suggestions about how I might go about getting a working a combination going? T & M is not the slightest bit helpful, though they were happy enough to take my money for the trailer.

Eric W.

Burntside Lake, Ely MN

dls322

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Short Pontoon, Clearance Problem on Trailer

Hmmmm, i've seen people bolt wood the frame of these types of trailers to make the boat sit higher. Stinks that your having a problem. If you could post some pictures that might help. Worse come to worse, if the place that sold you the trailer will not help you could always have it professionally modified to fit your application.

Silver Eagle

Master Chief Petty Officer

Hmmmm, i've seen people bolt wood the frame of these types of trailers to make the boat sit higher. Stinks that your having a problem. If you could post some pictures that might help. Worse come to worse, if the place that sold you the trailer will not help you could always have it professionally modified to fit your application.

Why not just get a bunk trailer and sell your problem trailer.A good used bunk trailer doesn't cost that much if you shop around.

Rancherlee

Chief Petty Officer

Why not just get a bunk trailer and sell your problem trailer.A good used bunk trailer doesn't cost that much if you shop around.

usually the stops are adjustable on those style of trails and can be moved back. As long as you have enough tongue weight with the stops moved back its a good solution. I wouldn't doubt that you trailer probably doesn't have adjustable stops though as everything about T&M is CHEAP and I've seen some of their trailers, most of which were underrated for the pontoon that was sold with it.

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral

You need the correct trailer.

Underblog

Seaman Apprentice

Yes, if I had my druthers, I would replace the pontoon trailer with one that works. That being said, you might appreciate the difficulty I might have driving various trailers out to our lake to see if they fit the boat properly. I would really prefer a scissors-style for ease of loading and versatility. And surprisingly, small pontoon trailers are in short supply on the used market, at least in Minnesota.

Rancherlee

Chief Petty Officer

Yes, if I had my druthers, I would replace the pontoon trailer with one that works. That being said, you might appreciate the difficulty I might have driving various trailers out to our lake to see if they fit the boat properly. I would really prefer a scissors-style for ease of loading and versatility. And surprisingly, small pontoon trailers are in short supply on the used market, at least in Minnesota.

I really haven't found a lake yet where I can't float my pontoon off my bunk trailer, and I've probably fished quite a few lakes you have. Burntside is a pretty lake, My grandfather and I had the contract to take care of the buoys on that lake a few years back.

Bamaman1

Lieutenant Commander

I watch out all the time for pontoon trailers, and Craigslist is where most are sold. They seldom appear, and they do they're sold immediately for relatively high prices. (So many pontoons are left in the water and sold without trailers when new.)

Come to think of it, I've never seen a trailer for a 16' pontoon boat. A good bass boat trailer could be modified to handle that length, and they're easily found nationwide.