Question on painting my hard top on out Riviera Cruiser pontoon

scryle205

Recruit
I have been restoring a 1985 Riviera Cruiser and have some questions about painting the hard top. Whats the best way to get the metal ready for paint and whats the best paint for aluminum. Ive read several articles online that say to go down to bare metal. Thanks in advance for some ideas! So ready for some water therapy!

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral
Re: Question on painting my hard top on out Riviera Cruiser pontoon

I would smooth it down and ruff up the existing surface then spray it with a alum etching primer then add the roof coating for RVs,

ahicks

Captain
I think there's a few variables here.... mostly regarding the quality of the finish you're after? If this hardtop is anything like the ones I'm familiar with, there's a "grain" as well as ridges embossed into the surface when the alum. sheet is made into something you'd use on a roof. It's not something you're going to sand down smooth, so don't even consider that! I would think anything that would work on the aluminum trim/siding on a home would work fine? A lot of people have used Rustoleum products on the above deck sides? Just make sure it's clean, and maybe go over it with a Scothbrite pad or similar to prep? For something with a little higher quality finish, the sky is the limit. Acrylic enamel, basecoat/clearcote, etc Just don't let anyone talk you into an epoxy based product. That stuff doesn't handle the sun well at all.... yellows like crazy.

HarborRat

Seaman
I'd personally sell the hardtop and use the money for a soft bimini top!

If the old paint isn't peeling go to Napa and ask for red scotch brite pads. It will scuff the old paint so the new sticks. What type of paint depends on how perfect you want it to look. Regular exterior paint rated for aluminum siding would probably be fine and last years, it just won't be shiny. Car/boat paint would cost too much imho. Rustoleum type paint applied with a foam roller would probably be a good compromise. Thin it slightly for a smoother finish.

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral
Like lot of things its about how its used. Mine has soft top and one day i would like to have a hard top with a full enclosure. But mine is kept on a slip and it may be towed 3 times a year.

ahicks

Captain
I think hard top "desire-ability" has much to do with towing as well. My experience has been if it's tied up at a dock in front of your house, they're hard to beat! If you're towing, maybe not so much!

HarborRat

Seaman
I keep mine in the water at my house and never trailer, but I like to explore the 100's of miles of canals Fl has and I am always lowering the bimini to go under low bridges (or just to get a tan, or to make room for fishing etc). Plus, every hardtop I've dealt with has been very noisy....rattletraps.