Are flooring kits worth the money???

Stevehue

Cadet
Searching the web I have found several places that offer a complete flooring kit. Just wondering if any one has tried these and have a suggestion as to the best kit for the buck.

Here are a few that we have looked at:

Pontoon Boat Redecking Kit with 26oz Palm Leaf Pattern Pontoon

Pontoon Boat Redecking Kit with Berber Pontoon Carpet - has anyone used berber on a pontoon before?

Bayside? Pontoon Deck Kit

These are just some examples as to what we have found and I am sure there are others. Just trying to see if this is a good route to take if we decide to replace the complete floor?

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral
Re: Are flooring kits worth the money???

Those kits should be just fine. When I re decked mine 3 years ago I hunted mine up my self due to I am cheep. The plywood is the big cost. I drove 200 miles and picked that up my self for 60.00 a sheet instead of 85.00 plus a delivery charge. I did order the SS screws and 28 oz carpet from places with free shipping. So instead of a 1000.00 kit I had 500.00 in that stage. The extra 500.00 went into a 1000.00 set of seats.

I am over close to Ashland Ky and I got mine in Cincinnati Oh and I see your close to there. So you should be able to find some local.

Last edited:

Stevehue

Cadet

What type of plywood did you use? CCA Pressure treated marine grade or AB marine grade? I have found AB but have yet to find CCA anywhere.

dls322

Petty Officer 1st Class

I re-decked mine last year. As Hawker said the plywood is the expensive part. I got my wood from a local custom wood place, it was not cheap at $90 a sheet. It also was not the CCA wood, no one locally sold it. I was not concerned with the 40 year guarantee since there is no way the carpet or rest of the boat would hold up that long without a full overhaul.
I got a couple gallons of outdoor marine glue from the hardware store, and i believe i used stainless self tapping screws to attach it. I also but down a thin rubber barrier between the cross member and the wood, and sealed all seams and screw holes with caulk.
I ordered my carpet form a place on ebay that was in Georgia....got a great deal. I opted for the palm design and was very happy with the outcome, i would recommend it. You will need to rent a carpet roller to properly finish the job.
while you are at it you should order some of the rail risers. They are spacers that go between the rail and the floor and allow trapped water to easily escape and not sit on the wood.
I enjoyed redecking my boats, i have 2 pontoons under my belt so far!

dls322

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ours is actually a wave pattern over a palm pattern...in my opinion give it a "richer" look over standard carpet.

IMG_1463.jpg

Bamaman1

Lieutenant Commander

I have had to replace a couple of smaller pieces on the rear of my 1985 model pontoon boat. The front pieces are still perfectly good after all these years.

I would just replace plywood that is rotted--not all of it. And the only wood to use is the 7 ply real marine grade plywood--3/4". Nothing else will last like marine plywood.

Most middle and large cities have plywood businesses that carry marine ply. You've just got to look close to find such a specialty retailer. The big box hardware stores do not carry the stuff.

See PontoonStuff.com for carpet and vinyl--and the correct mastics to put them down with. Just remember that either has got to be rolled with a 100 lb. floor roller to minimize any bubbles, etc.