Fishing line on prop shaft

Dave-R

Chief Petty Officer
I just bought a new Spitfire prop, and during the install I found a lot of fishing line wound around the shaft.
I feel lucky that it didn't have time to cut the seal, and maybe damage the gears inside. I think we all should look for this more often, and also grease the shaft often. I can't hardly wait to try out my new 13.8X13 pitch 4 blade prop. I also spent a couple days skinning the underside, and raising the motor 2 holes. I have a 2007 Bennington 2075 FSI with a Yamaha 90 four stroke, and the wife wants it to reach at least 25mph. Now if the weather will just let me try it out, rain yesterday and hail and snow today GGRRRR.

MinUph

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Fishing line on prop shaft

Prop removal and inspection is part of general maintenance. Fishing line is the main reason.

Cuda K5

Cadet

stop getting so close to the shore fisherman :p

I have been spooled by a few boats coming to close to shore and i just laugh thinking about the 400 yards of 200lb braid wrapped around their prop :D

Jeep Man

Commander

Your 4 blade will not give you more speed. You will likely have less slip and better hole shot as well as better reverse control. FYI, if you had a 14p previously, 13p 4 blade will give you the same rpm. As a rule it is one less than if using a 3 blade.

Dave-R

Chief Petty Officer

Hello Jeep Man: With the old 14" X 11 pitch prop, I would run right up to 6200 rpm. The Yamaha is rated at 90hp. at 5500 rpm.
It has been running about 21mph. The Spitfire is the new darling prop for pontoon boats, it has a smaller diameter, and the latest greatest design just for pontoons. My motor was quite low though, I raised it up two holes and it still is about 2-3" below the water at full throttle. One of the said advantages of the spitfire was greatly increased lift. Are they talking lift for trimming up the front or bring the stern up? Also Cuda K5 this is a new to me boat, I didn't do it. I had to laugh though thinking about that 200lb test line on your pole.
Did you ski barefoot or let go ? Dave-R

Jeep Man

Commander

Hello Jeep Man: With the old 14" X 11 pitch prop, I would run right up to 6200 rpm. The Yamaha is rated at 90hp. at 5500 rpm.
It has been running about 21mph. The Spitfire is the new darling prop for pontoon boats, it has a smaller diameter, and the latest greatest design just for pontoons. My motor was quite low though, I raised it up two holes and it still is about 2-3" below the water at full throttle. One of the said advantages of the spitfire was greatly increased lift. Are they talking lift for trimming up the front or bring the stern up? Also Cuda K5 this is a new to me boat, I didn't do it. I had to laugh though thinking about that 200lb test line on your pole.
Did you ski barefoot or let go ? Dave-R

Using your same prop in a 13p version should have reduced your max RPM to about 5800. The 4 blade should put you around 5600, right where you want to be. Having your motor "too" low on a pontoon doesn't make that much of a difference, unlike a conventional hull. If it is too high you will note prop ventilation when turning hard. The underskinning on the other hand will make a difference. Probably will add 2 to 3 mph.

Dave-R

Chief Petty Officer

JeepMan : I wish I had listened to your advice. Tried out the new prop and the other changes we made today. The boat topped out at 23 mph.GPS, and the rpm was about 5600. I was hoping for about 5800rpm. I am not that happy with the four blade spitfire for slow speed trolling. When at low speeds,500 to 1000 the prop had a very bad vibration. I thought maybe it could be out of balance, our out of round.
I have had a lot of boats, but never encountered anything like this low speed shudder. Rather than the spitfire 4 blade 13.8 X 13 pitch, I wish I had stayed with the same original prop, but with a 13" pitch. Any one else get a new prop, that shakes at low speed? Dave-R

BigDfromTN

Petty Officer 1st Class

JeepMan : I wish I had listened to your advice. Tried out the new prop and the other changes we made today. The boat topped out at 23 mph.GPS, and the rpm was about 5600. I was hoping for about 5800rpm. I am not that happy with the four blade spitfire for slow speed trolling. When at low speeds,500 to 1000 the prop had a very bad vibration. I thought maybe it could be out of balance, our out of round.
I have had a lot of boats, but never encountered anything like this low speed shudder. Rather than the spitfire 4 blade 13.8 X 13 pitch, I wish I had stayed with the same original prop, but with a 13" pitch. Any one else get a new prop, that shakes at low speed? Dave-R

I switched to a 4 blade last year. Am quite pleased with it. Have not noticed any vibrations at any speed. You may want to have its balance checked. I would think if it is out of balance or out or round it would get worse with higher speeds?

Could it be a bit of a miss in the engine at low speeds?