ercoa pontoon

1983 ercoa 21'

Chief Petty Officer
I'm new to this forum thing. I have read alot of good things on here and have got some good ideas with that being said here's my story and looking forward to some good input.
I got a 1983 ercoa 21' pontoon last season and really like it going to make some changes to it . I started with a 25 hp merc that lasted one trip then to a 70 hp evinrude now I'm running a 115 Johnson and love it. For those not familiar with ercoa they are known for their hex toon which provides the flat surface for better planning. I'm adding a 3rd toon with transom built in and under skinning and extending me deck to the end of the toons and looking for parts to do so which include cross members and bumper railing. Ercoa closed last summer and there's not many of them made it this far south to Oklahoma from Minnesota area. So if anyone reading this knows where I can find a salvage one. It would be very helpful and greatly appreciated.

1983 ercoa 21'

Chief Petty Officer
Re: ercoa pontoon

Ercoa boats must be like a myth no one has made any reply to my request for help lol . Guess I'm left to fabricate the stuff I need myself.

Georgesalmon

Lieutenant Commander

Wonder,,,,,,I drove past the ercoa plant I think in Brahm MN last summer and there were a bunch of tubes and stuff laying around in the fenced in area. Sorry, I don't live near there so can't tell you if they are still there or how to find out how to get one.

1983 ercoa 21'

Chief Petty Officer

I searched high and low around here before settling on a 25" round tube with strake's and transom already on it . The only thing I'm un certain about is the center log will be about 5" lower than the outer logs . From what I've read so far this will make the boat bank more in turns and possibly lean a little with movement from side to side. Any input would be nice?

Bamaman1

Lieutenant Commander

I'm an experienced tooner and the proud owner of a Bennington tritoon. I've never seen a Ercoa pontoon boat, except in pictures, but I can tell you they're a different animal than anything else on the retail market.

I would be very hesitant to mount any round 25" toons on that boat. Pontoon boats are actually engineered to do a specific job they're intended to do. Who knows what the different style toon might do to your boat. All pontoons have their limitations, and we just have to accept it.

I would tell you to just underskin your boat, and accept it as it is. 115 hp on a 21' boat should run just fine and be perfectly seaworthy.

You might want to join and post your message on the big pontoon website, Pontoon Boat & Deck Boat Forum • Index page

Last edited:

BrianMc

Petty Officer 2nd Class

In my opinion you'll be fine with the 25" round tube at 5" below. I heard the same stuff when I built mine,and it runs great. Mine is only 3" below,and if I were to change one thing it would be dropping it another 2" to give it more roll in the turns. There are some out there at 7" below. You'll notice less lean with weight on one side than you do now. There's probably more "engineering" in that straked transom tube than your whole toon has.

I don't know how extensive your build will be,but see your looking for more crossmembers. This is a good start as the biggest stress added to the frame will be the "racking" it'll take,because you'll be busting waves a lot harder with the tritoon. For this reason I added more stringers up front too,and even added an outer frame. I'd put my chassis up against any factory toon. The center tube itself takes most of the abuse from the motor,plus it'll be carrying most of the weight. The hex tubes will be more like outriggers,and along for the ride now. Their built in planing surface should just highlight what the straked center tube will do for you.

If I can help with the material list,send me a pm.

1983 ercoa 21'

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks very much brianmc I you confirmed how I was thinking this would work. My ercoa has cross members every 2'now and the ones at the rear are a little closer for the first five foot they are made from galvanized 3x2 c channel but as most older toons they stick out the front and rear 2' this is were I want the crossbeam to be as I'm adding deck space.and I also am thinking about tieing in the ends rather than just putting a cap over them . My motor will be about two foot out past the toons when I'm done.

1983 ercoa 21'

Chief Petty Officer

I sure wish this weather we are having here in Oklahoma would warm up so I can work on my project.

1983 ercoa 21'

Chief Petty Officer

I have spent the weekend chasing items needed for my project. I scored a aluminum deck off a tracker pontoon and railing also and extra cross members. I'm excited I'm ready to get started. I'll probably be the only ercoa tri toon lol

BrianMc

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Nice, but is it really an Ercoa anymore? lol Probably so, at least your still using most of your original under carriage. The only thing original on mine was the outer tubes,and they're modified.

Man, if I ever do another build I'm looking you up to score me some parts. You need to change your user name to Digger! ;)

1983 ercoa 21'

Chief Petty Officer

If you knew what I paid for it you might call me something else lol got railing in good shape the floor,side and end cap in fair shape,ladder sun deck all the bolts for six. I was in the right place at the right time.
it was a long weekend went all the way to bills place in eastern mo the south of Branson picked up a parts motor then back to Neosho to pick railing and deck up. Home now. Getting the deck and railing will change my design now will just have to draw it all out and see what will work.

1983 ercoa 21'

Chief Petty Officer

Yes you are correct there won't be alot of ercoa parts used the toons are ercoa s trademark that sets them apart from most all toons wither that's good or bad who's to say.
I do wish that I could have found a ercoa toon in my area to make the third toon from but that was out of my reach.

1983 ercoa 21'

Chief Petty Officer

The weather permitted me to work on my took today after work.
I removed all the cross members (galvanized one's) replacing them with aluminum and adding. A few more to better support the third toon and more hp . Turned the toons upside down to sand the growth from sitting in the water for several years. Looking forward to progress on this project the next few weeks

1983 ercoa 21'

Chief Petty Officer

Update:finally got the growth of the toons found some slight pitting after alot of research decided to coat the lower half of the toons with por-15 I strongly recommend this product for ageing toons that might be questionable in some areas. As of today I got all the welding completed in the redesign of the mounting of the outer toons and have a couple cross members and third toon in place. I wish I could upload pictures but I'm unable to from this windows phone.

Rancherlee

Chief Petty Officer

I have spent the weekend chasing items needed for my project. I scored a aluminum deck off a tracker pontoon and railing also and extra cross members. I'm excited I'm ready to get started. I'll probably be the only ercoa tri toon lol

NOPE, we put a 3rd pontoon under my Grandpa 28' Ercoa for extra flotation as its used as a work barge. We used it to place, remove, and haul warning buoys on a few lakes. Flat bottom toons work great, empty his would get up on step and dang near run 30mph with a wore out 90hp Rude V4 on the back (though knowing grandpa it had 110 or 140 carbs/bubble back on it). I have a Kennedy with also has an added 3rd toon and it has flat bottomed octagon shaped tubes. old Ercoa are a dime a dozen up here in Minnesota, see quite a few for 1000$ or less on Craigslist throughout the summer. Also Kennedy used Hex toons on a few models for a few years.

Last edited:

1983 ercoa 21'

Chief Petty Officer

I'm shocked someone else on here that has experienced a ercoa .
rancherlee . I'm really fond of my ercoa think it's because you don't see one every where you turn and yes the design of the toons makes them get up on top my pontoon with a 115 Johnson was running between 25 30 I kind expect the same from it when I'm done even though I'm adding weight I also tried some off by replacing the galvanized cross members with aluminum and removing the steel transom,hard top. I'm also extending my deck area from 16' to 21'which will allow for a rear platform and extend the front one as this barge is used mainly for fishing,the decking is aluminum also. I'm expecting to have a test run in by the first weekend in may.

Rancherlee

Chief Petty Officer

I'm shocked someone else on here that has experienced a ercoa .
rancherlee . I'm really fond of my ercoa think it's because you don't see one every where you turn and yes the design of the toons makes them get up on top my pontoon with a 115 Johnson was running between 25 30 I kind expect the same from it when I'm done even though I'm adding weight I also tried some off by replacing the galvanized cross members with aluminum and removing the steel transom,hard top. I'm also extending my deck area from 16' to 21'which will allow for a rear platform and extend the front one as this barge is used mainly for fishing,the decking is aluminum also. I'm expecting to have a test run in by the first weekend in may.

I also extended the deck on mine from 16' to 19.5' but I really wish I had left more of the tube sticking out of the back, Originally mine had 24" and when I redid it I only left 6" out the back. With 2 "big guys" in the rear fishing seats she sits pretty low even with the 3rd pontoon. I also Have a 350# 70hp and a 100# T9.9 kicker on the back so that doesn't help. Now I've been searching for Parts pontoons trying to find myself a few of the bigger tube kennedy pontoons for even more flotation.

1983 ercoa 21'

Chief Petty Officer
Finally got the toon back together not completely finished didn't get the floor coating put on and the under skinning on yet. But went to the lake for a week and I'm really pleased wit the addition of the third toon extending the deck from 16' to 21' it handled better than before even though I'm just running a115 crank rated slinging a 133/4x15 three blade it did really well with gear and my 6 year old son and myself but add two grown men and fill the live well's. Not so well and not real sure the under skinning will cure this even though there is alot of drag there .