ercoa pontoon

1983 ercoa 21'

Chief Petty Officer
Finally got the toon back together not completely finished didn't get the floor coating put on and the under skinning on yet. But went to the lake for a week and I'm really pleased wit the addition of the third toon extending the deck from 16' to 21' it handled better than before even though I'm just running a115 crank rated slinging a 133/4x15 three blade it did really well with gear and my 6 year old son and myself but add two grown men and fill the live well's. Not so well and not real sure the under skinning will cure this even though there is alot of drag there .

BrianMc

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Do you have a tach on that rig, ercoa? Betting you need to drop down in pitch with a 115. A 150 can sling a 15,just guessing you'll need more like a 13 to keep your R's up enough to stay in your power band. If you know your max recommended rpm,and your gear ratio you can use this calculator to get close. http://www.go-fast.com/Prop_Slip_Calculator.htm

1983 ercoa 21'

Chief Petty Officer
No tach yet installed any way. I just got home with 150 prop rated and yes Brian you would be proud lol..by the way think I recall you saying if you built another one you would set center toon 8" deeper I did not just because you said but if I wanted it any less there would have been alot more modifications involved and my concern cam true the side to side movement is more than I wanted no so bad if your the one walking around but if your the one standing at the edge throwing the net and your 250 # buddy is doing the moving not so good lol. Nothing against bigger people I'm one myself lol . What pitch you slinging on your ride?

BrianMc

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Yeah, the smaller the outer tubes the less you probably want to drop that center one. Mine has no noticeable rocking to it at 3",but it doesn't bank into turns as good as I would of liked. A 7" drop is the most I've seen until yours,so I imagine it does rock. Bet it turns decent though. Guess you always have the option to space your outers down like I did my center tube.

I'm running a 16 pitch prop,but I have a lot of planing surface and my xr6 is a stout 150. I'd probably stay with the 15 with your 150,especially if you run heavy. Possibly a 14 if she's a screamer. I've done a few mods to get more R's out of mine,so I could probably spin a 15 6200 rpm now without loosing any topend. Would be faster loaded. After that I'll have to release a little of the stern lift to gain anymore speed without more hp.

1983 ercoa 21'

Chief Petty Officer
I already spaced my outer toon 3 inch. Was talking to the prop shop yesterday told him about my set up he says 8 on the center is ideal and is wanting to send me a 5 blade 17 pitch stainless. Told him I wanted to start with a aluminum 3 blade 15 x 15 with the cupping for a toon and get stats from there before dropping 400.00 on a prop not sure when I'll put the 150 on with probably need to go to hydraulic steer first . I will probably order a 13 for my 115 and use it for a while who knows

Michael Wagner

Recruit
I have a 1998 ercoa 23 foot flagship I/O Merc 3.0. I have refurbished it has the prior owner was very good at deferred maintenance. I am missing two of the cast alum corners that cover the ends of the rub rail. Does anyone know where I might find a couple of them ? I have looked at salvage yards and dismantles but with no luck.

1983 ercoa 21'

Chief Petty Officer
There is places to get cast corners think they might have them here. If they don't match just replace all four. My 83 was welded in the corners and didn't use cast ones

BrianMc

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I already spaced my outer toon 3 inch. Was talking to the prop shop yesterday told him about my set up he says 8 on the center is ideal and is wanting to send me a 5 blade 17 pitch stainless. Told him I wanted to start with a aluminum 3 blade 15 x 15 with the cupping for a toon and get stats from there before dropping 400.00 on a prop not sure when I'll put the 150 on with probably need to go to hydraulic steer first . I will probably order a 13 for my 115 and use it for a while who knows

I'd be a little leery of that prop shop. How does he come up with 8" being ideal? Now it might be in your case,but as far as I know it's uncharted water. When Manitou first patented the idea they found 23"/27"/23" tubes with 5 1/4" of differential to be ideal. If I'm not mistaken they now have some up to 7". It's the angle of deadrise they were after. So depending on overall width,strake location,and tube diameters that height will vary. A 102'' wide deck with 25" outer tubes would require more height differential for "their" optimum deadrise angle. Regardless of all that optimum is dependent of what ones trying to achieve. Maybe this guy has built a pontoon himself discovering something the rest of us haven't yet,but I doubt it. ;)

It also almost sounds like he has a 17 pitch 5 blade he's trying to get rid of. Unless he can get you another 6 mph out of your loaded down toon. It'll bite,but so will a 15"x15" three blade. I haven't tried a 5 blade,but have ran 4's on many different hulls including my toon. In every case but one I have found 3 blades that'll out run them. Most of the time by 3-4 mph. On my toon I tried the most aggressive 4 blade I've ran on a 22' wide bodied bay boat. It performed better on the bay boat then it did on my toon. That extra trailing edge on a 4 blade creates too much stern lift for my toon,not creating the bow lift needed to reduce the wet surface area at speed. It ran flat and wouldn't lift the bow. And I purposely tried to keep my bow lite. A 5 would create even more stern lift. I did find that my hunch was right on the two hulls wanting the same blade design. That is a large dia. high raked 3 blade. A 3 blade will carry the bow better,if it hooks up. The high rake angle tightens up the thrust cone,which helps with the leverage for more bow lift. The only high raked 3 in our low pitch range that I know of is the Mercury enertia. And, as others have found has good bite and is a fast toon prop. Now if your extremely stern heavy like a big block I/O or a toon with dual 300's hanging on the back the 5's might work good.

On a side note if your motor is mounted too high a high rake prop won't work. They will draw in more surface water because of the blade angle. If you can achieve 3/4 positive trim the high rake prop should work.

1983 ercoa 21'

Chief Petty Officer
When I get the 150 mounted in starting with a 15x15 aluminum with some cupping to it and see where I'm at before spending very much money on a prop . As far as the drop on the center took I didn't get into detail with him I just told him how my tri toon was set up when I told him center drop he said that was ideal he had also said he has built a few tri toons . But either way my set up is what it is and its unreal how smooth a ride it is . I'm going to try to get my under skinning on next week and raise the motor back up where I started in stall the tach and run down the road to sooner and see how this go.

Michael Wagner

Recruit
There is places to get cast corners think they might have them here. If they don't match just replace all four. My 83 was welded in the corners and didn't use cast ones

Where is "here"?

BrianMc

Petty Officer 2nd Class
When I get the 150 mounted in starting with a 15x15 aluminum with some cupping to it and see where I'm at before spending very much money on a prop . As far as the drop on the center took I didn't get into detail with him I just told him how my tri toon was set up when I told him center drop he said that was ideal he had also said he has built a few tri toons . But either way my set up is what it is and its unreal how smooth a ride it is . I'm going to try to get my under skinning on next week and raise the motor back up where I started in stall the tach and run down the road to sooner and see how this go.

So he has some experience,my apologies. What a combination of skills. I'd like to talk shop with him if he's been messing around with setups. Where's his shop? I use to use a guy at Keystone Propellers in Tulsa,or send them to Boger. Also use to test props for PowerTech. Thinking they'll be getting onto this performance pontoon bandwagon soon with an answer to merc's enertia.

1983 ercoa 21'

Chief Petty Officer
I tried looking up a number for keystone props in Tulsa was going to see if their open on Saturday I'll be in Tulsa Saturday and wanted to pick up a inexpensive 13 pitch 4 blade for my 115 but couldn't find a number for them can you help Brian?

1983 ercoa 21'

Chief Petty Officer
Ok for anyone looking for keystone propellers in my search I have found them to have closed up no longer in business.

1983 ercoa 21'

Chief Petty Officer
I can't say enough about the difference in my boat the more I use it the more I love it ! Adding the third toon is the only way to go. I'm still running the 115 crank rated figure I'll get the 150 prop rated on this winter when I make a few other changes.

BrianMc

Petty Officer 2nd Class
That'll be a different animal with the 150. Have you had her out in the chop yet? The lake I frequent gets pretty rough,and the locals are catching on. Last weekend in the evening when the fisherman came out to play there where about as many toons fishing as mono hulls.

1983 ercoa 21'

Chief Petty Officer
Yes I have had it in some pretty rough waters and it's totally different than a pontoon a tri toon is a different animal. Riding on smoth water with bow up on a toon without the rear of logs deep in the water knowing you're on plain is a great feeling. As much as I want the 150 on yesterday in taking my time going through the 150 carbs,fuel pump,thermostats,impeller,decarb,service lower unit, the whole nine yards plus saving up for hydraulic steering system .so it will probably be on in time for next season have fishing to do now. A man has to have his priorities straight lol