Solar power for a pontoon boat cabin

Catfishearl

Seaman Apprentice
I'm building a 12' cabin on a 24' pontoon and would like to have a solar power system for small appliances like a couple of fans, coffee pot, lamps, maybe a little TV.
I don't want the noise of a gas generator but don't know the first thing about setting up a solar system. Anything I use would be 110 volts.
Is there anyone that can point me in the right direction getting started on this project?

KD4UPL

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Solar power for a pontoon boat cabin

The first step is to estimate as accurately as possible how much power you will use. An example would be:
2 fans, 30 watts each, 4 hours a day = 240 watt/hours
1 TV, 75 watts, 2 hours a day = 150 watt/hours
Coffee pot, 1500 watts, .5 hours a day = 750 watt/hours
Total = 1,140 watt/hours. You'd need a battery bank of 1,140 w/h / 12v = 95 Ah/ 50% Depth of discharge = 190 Ah.
If you lay the panels flat and only use this in the summer it would take about 300 watts of panels to make this much power.
You'll also need a 2,000 watt inverter. They come in 2 types: modified sine wave and pure sine wave. For a coffee pot the MSW is fine but for the TV I'd want a PSW for the cleaner power. It might make sense to get a small 300 watt PSW for the TV and a cheaper 2,000 watt MSW for the coffee pot.

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral

Yes you can do it but it will be expensive. you will need a large inverter, 10-12 v solar panels and marine regulator and 10-12 v battery's, and depending on the power draw that will determine what size inverter and batters capacity

a estimate on parts
15 watt solar panel=65.00 X 10=650.00
marine grade regulator=200.00
group 29 deep cycle battery's 150.00 X 10 =1500.00
marine grade 5000 watt inverter=400.00
that's around 2750.00

that's not counting wire, fasteners control lights switches and busted knuckles. So I would estimate the parts cost around 3500.00

Last edited:

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

I'm sure no expert but based on your requirements I think your solar panels would probably have to be about as big as your boat.
I would suggest a little propane burner of some sort. And a couple of 12 volt fans and led lights.A
bilge blower can move an amazing amount of air though not very quietly.
Everything 12 volt.Insulate the walls and ceiling and add a sun shield covering the roof like some tents have.
2 heavy duty deep cycle batteries.Use one while the other charges.
I think you would still need a pretty massive array to keep batteries charged.
Can't tell you how much charge you will need but;I can tell you that if you run say 8 amps for one hour
it will take about 2 hours at 8 amps to charge up.
Have you planned your cabin? Going to have a bow and stern area?Of course you'll need lots of ventilation.
The experts may be along with an estimate of what size system you will need.

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral

Awhile ago I had the same thoughts for over nights, especially the coffee pot. The admiral loves a cup in the mornings and I looked at 120 volt systems and 12 v systems and went with a Colman propane coffee pot, it works real nice. I did end up adding a 15 watt solar panel ( 1.25 amps ) to top off the battery. I do a lot of night fishing and run a black light and a live well aeration pump for hours and my motor only has a 4 amp charging system. A laptop works real well for TV and a 300 watt simple inverter plugged into a power socket keeps it going fine. You can pick up 12 v fans at NAPA that truck drivers use, those help a lot.
O and adding a second battery just to run the accessory's will make your the motor will start even if the second battery runs down.

Last edited:

KD4UPL

I certainly wouldn't use 15 watt solar panels, especially if they actually cost $65 as Hawker suggests. You can get 250 watt solar panels for around $250. You can get 125 watt solar panels for around $175.

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral

I certainly wouldn't use 15 watt solar panels, especially if they actually cost $65 as Hawker suggests. You can get 250 watt solar panels for around $250. You can get 125 watt solar panels for around $175.

what voltage and size, remember he needs 120 volts and he only has a 8 x 10 foot mounting surface, the 250 watt panels i have looked at are 65 x 50 inches and 10 of them is 2500.00

Last edited:

Catfishearl

Seaman Apprentice

Wow! so much to learn. Thank you all so much for this information. I had no idea what I was getting into. I think I need to scale back to running some 12V fans and LED lighting. Overall weight is going to be a consideration with building a cabin on the boat. So 8 or 10 deep cycle batteries are a lot of additional weight. I found this solar kit at Amazon. I'll post the link. What could I expect to power with this? I know I need 2 or 3 batteries with it.
Amazon.com: Sunforce 50048 60W Solar Charging Kit: Automotive

Bamaman1

Lieutenant Commander

Too complicated. Just buy a Honda EU2000 generator that's very quiet and fuel efficient--and also very small in size.

Catfishearl

Seaman Apprentice

Too complicated. Just buy a Honda EU2000 generator that's very quiet and fuel efficient--and also very small in size.
I really like that idea! What all can it run simultaneously? Like a 5000 btu AC and some lights?
Plus I like the idea of not having all those heavy batteries for power storage.

Silly Seville

Yep...this^^^^^

There is a reason that after 30 years of "advancements" in solar technology...it is still not a logistically or financially viable option in a continuous duty environment (such as residential or business.) The associated costs of storing the energy, FAR outweighs the initial purchase price and fuel use of a small inverter generator in your intended application. Until some genius develops a stable battery chemistry that can store a truck battery's worth of voltage AND amperage capacity in something the size of a "D" cell flashlight battery...solar harnessed energy is for the rose-colored glasses crowd.

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral

Thats why most people run a gen instead of a house bank. 10 battery's will weigh around 450 pounds plus the other gear so make it a even 500. A gen is the way to go with safety precautions. It will produce CO2, so no running at night while your asleep and a good quality CO2 detector. Also their specialty gens just for marine use but I see a lot using standard home ones.

I went with a mix and their several ways do do any thing you have in mind. I added a group 29 so I have a good amount of reserve power. My night fishing load is around 8 amps. I have never ran short of power including starting the motor but I run a little 9.9 and I can all ways hand start it. A Coleman coffee pot keeps the admiral happy and a lap top on a 300 watt HFB inverter to play DVD movies for the grand kids busy. A good propane grill is a necessity. Aint nothing like a night on the hook. Waking up when its still and a touch of chill in the air And waking up ever one with in 5 miles by tossing a pound of bacon on the grill. :D

Last edited:

HarborRat

Seaman

CatfishEarl, you have gotten some good information, but a lot of misinformation too.

Your demands aren't too high, unless you are living on the boat or using these devices for hours every single day. You can start small and add to the system if and when you need to.

I'd start with 2 or three 29 group deep cycle batteries. Search craigslist for the large solar panels from rooftop systems. The older ones that I usually find cheap (under $100, and I even found a whole set free once) are normally around 175 watts. The newer ones are more powerful/efficient but it'll cost ya. You can start with just one or two panels.

Next you'll need a charge controller. They can be as cheap as $10 on Amazon, or into the hundreds. You get what you pay for, but for a simple setup, start simple. Same with the inverter, but as someone stated above you'll want a good one if running a TV or laptop.

That is really it! I'm not sure why "need 10 batteries" is stated so much above. I guess the poster thinks they are 12v batts x 10 =120v. That is not how it works. Most panels put out around 40v. The charge controller cuts that down to charge volts ~14.6v to keep the batteries topped off. The inverter takes the battery power and converts it to 120v. Keep in mind inverters lose power in the process, so the more things you have running off 12v the better. LEDs are a must.

I've set up similar systems as described above for a few hundred dollars.

Last edited:

HarborRat

Seaman

.... I found this solar kit at Amazon. I'll post the link. What could I expect to power with this? I know I need 2 or 3 batteries with it.
Amazon.com: Sunforce 50048 60W Solar Charging Kit: Automotive

Harbor Freight usually has the same kit on sale much cheaper. I wouldn't buy it though. You can piece together your own system much cheaper, and with much more output. That kit would be ok for the occasional camping trip to charge cell phones and flashlights, but I wouldn't permanently mount it to anything.

60 watts is 5 amps at 12v. With inefficient equipment it may only charge at 3 amps in full sun per hour. Say 6 hours of sun per day, thats 18 amps worth of charge. If you use 50 amps of battery reserve it could take 3 days to charge back up.

Keep in mind, your battery "bank" can still be charged with a battery charger from shore power overnight....so if you are planning on using the boat the next day you can always charge the night before. That shouldn't be needed with the right system, but if you run down your batts one day you can charge overnight for the next day in an emergency.

Before getting too deep, learn Ohms Law...it will help you calculate what you need.

IraRat

Petty Officer 1st Class

I built a teardrop trailer a few years back, and some of us guys used a combination of energy sources.

Cooking- It's propane all the way. Heck, if you're not going out for days at a time, you can even use the little bottles--not the huge tank. Easy to store, easy to shlep, and not expensive. Of course, you'll get a little 2-burner stove, but keep your eyes out for an oven too! They make them (I have an old Brinkmann), and there's one company that sells a combo stove AND oven in one piece. People don't really think about it, but the convenience of an oven is AMAZING for a lot of your cooking.

Refrigeration--The extreme coolers are the best. These 5-day, 7-day coolers are spectacular and very inexpensive. Throw your ice and food in there and 5, 7 days later, you still have ICE in there.

Lighting--some of us rigged cheap Harbor Freight solar lights, the kind you would use for your patio/garden. But how much light do you need on a small boat anyway? Get lamps that take C, D, AA...WHATEVER battery size...and you're good to go. Get yourself some rechargeable Ni-MH type batteries and you're good to go forever.

TV/DVD/Etc.--Just one 12V deep cycle marine battery, a battery charger, and a cheap DC to AC inverter (a couple of hundred watts will do the trick). I'm assuming you have a 12V on the boat anyway, but get one dedicated just for this.

Heating--They make very safe, very cheap propane heaters these days, ones that take the same little propane bottles that your cooking stove uses.

Cooling--Look, this ain't the Queen Mary, and we can't have EVERYTHING, can we?

Last edited:

Silver Eagle

Master Chief Petty Officer

If you go to Buggiesunlimited.com they have a section on soar panels for golf carts. Starting around $900.00.These panels fit on the roof of the carts..It's a starting point

KD4UPL

I don't know how in the world this thread got around to 10 solar panels and 10 batteries. Holly cow that's huge and unnecessary.
My initial very rough guesstimate was for 300 watts of solar panels and 190 Ah of batteries.
That's about 2 Group 31 batteries. Since large solar panels are commonly about 250 watts each I'd start with 1 and see how it goes.
That is a more than reasonable "load" for a boat. Most boats carry two batteries that size anyway. The solar panel is only about 40" by 65".
Most any solar panel from Harbor Freight will be very small and very expensive. I don't know why they sell that junk except that apparently people buy it. You can find large panels in the 250 watt range for $1 per watt or less. This whole system would probably cost something like:
1 250 watt panel $250
2 Group 31 batteries $250
1 2,000 watt inverter $200
1 20 amp charge controller $200
Misc. wire and "stuff" $300
Total: $1,200.
A Honda generator will cost you $900 plus the gas and oil.

IslandGirlTalk

Seaman Apprentice

For your needs, a 12v system would probably be better. Whole house style inverters that are running all of the time can eat up power and for what you're doing, you should be able to find most items in 12v without many issues. I live off the grid on an island for three months each year. We installed a solar system about five years ago. We have a 125 watt panel and two AGM batteries. It's not a huge system, but it suits us just fine. We have a water pump hooked up to it, two 12v outlets, lights in three bedrooms, kitchen lights, lights over the dining table and a light on the back porch. We charge cell phones, laptops, power tools and use a small plug inverter whenever we need to use a small kitchen appliance. Even though we use all of these things daily, we have never had issues with not having enough power. I'm sure you could use an even smaller system and be just fine. Just make sure that you get 12v fans, use LED 12v bulbs and get a plug in inverter that's big enough to handle the coffee maker. As for a small TV, I've seen 12v models before. Good luck!

Last edited:

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral

The OP was original asking about a 120 volt system

Vintin

Petty Officer 1st Class

Any suggestions for how the OP could charge his house batteries with a Honda 1kw generator should he decide to not use any solar? Quick charging batteries isn't the best for them so how do you maximize a 1kw generator so it doesn't have to run for eight or more hours just to charge a couple of batteries?