Add Pontoon Log/Seal Outboard mount pod?

mr geets

Petty Officer 3rd Class
My 21 footer with 2 logs is great for 4 to 6 people - until they all congregate at one end of my pontoon boat. I saw where someone had sealed up the rear pod the outboard is mounted on. Anyone done that? Effectiveness? Any buoyancy would help.

3rd log? I don't want to get too major here. Maybe a log from the front to the engine pod. Bolt on would be nice. Any thoughts?

This time of year is the pits when the water is hard!

Mi duckdown

Commander
Re: Add Pontoon Log/Seal Outboard mount pod?

Geets. Remember you are the Captain of the Boat. they should sit or move where you tell them.

mr geets

Petty Officer 3rd Class

RRRight. Wife and 3 grown daughters. I rest my case!

crb478

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I don't think that sealing up the motor pod will help you much. You can add a third toon, but it will be a lot of work and kind of tough to find one to fit a 21 footer. My best advise would be to sell what you have and buy a 22 to 24 foot tritoon. I totally understand about the wife and three daughters, grown or otherwise. On my boat people congregate toward the front is why I added a third pontoon.

Mrtoler

Cadet

My opinion would be save the time and hassle of sealing your current transom and buy another tube... I'd try and get a 22' center tube so you could get your engine back a in cleaner water, also try and get the largest diamiter tube you can get to help with boyancy.... The easy way to do this is buy a boat already setup like this but it's not very hard to modify your existing one either. The tube just bolts to the cross members and if it has an integrated transom (which is ideal) you just have four bolts to swap it over!

Bamaman1

Lieutenant Commander

What year and brand of boat do you have? Diameter of the toons? Horsepower?

You may be throwing good money after bad if you're starting with a 23" toon'd, small horsepower boat.

There are a number of brands of pontoons that have a middle toon that ends a foot or so in front of the engine pod. You give up a little on rear end buoyancy, but the price is right.

Tritoons really need 90 hp before their benefits show up. My tritoon is 24' with a Yamaha F150 4 stroke, and it's good for 41-42 mph GPS.

Blujay96

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have been thinking about sealing the motor pod on my 24ft. My thought was to add about 8 ft to it and put my gas tank inside it. I was figuring to have it flat bottom to help with lift in the back. Not only would I gain some deck space but I was thinking it should add some floatation in the back

Bamaman1

Lieutenant Commander

Every boat has limitations. With such an old engine and an old styled pontoon boat, you'd probably do best to sell it and buy a newer, slightly larger pontoon with a larger engine. You're just not going to find a third toon shaped like those on your Suncruiser.

The trend in the retail market now is going with three toons, lifting strakes on the toons, 22-24' hulls and a 115 to 150 hp motor. The larger motors and lifting strakes make'em really perform well, even in high wave situations.