Questions about possible water in pontoon tubes

tumblebug1949

Petty Officer 3rd Class
While looking at my 1999 SunTracker, Fishin' Barge iI noticed what I think is a condensation line near the bottom of each tube while looking at it from the rear. The line on the left tube seems to be 2 inches up from the bottom and the line on the right tube seems to be about 4 inches up from the bottom.

First question:

Is there a way to check and see if there is liquid in the tubes and is there a way to fix this if there is? I am aware of the plug on the approximate top center of each tube.

Second question:

Is there foam in the tubes or are they empty?

Thank you for any assistance.
Tom

The Rooster

Ensign
Re: Questions about possible water in pontoon tubes

Tubes should be empty Tom. Suntracker did not use foam in their construction. Can you hook boat to truck and start & stop while listening for sloshing noise within the tubes ? If so, need to drain, pressure check w/ no more than 5 psi of air to find the leaks, then have competent aluminum welder fix. Good luck !!!

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral

When I pull mine out I stop on the ramp if its empty and it normals is and while the boat is tilted and I tap on the back of the toons and listen mine has a ringing tone that tells me their empty.

tumblebug1949

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thank you Rooster and Hawker for the reply. Both were helpful. I will use both procedures to help determine if I have water in the tubes. I have alway wondered why the manufacturers did not put a drain plug on the rear of each tube. I would guess that getting a good seal would be the issue but surely that could be acheived in this day and age. Oh well, I can't complain. I have had my first pontoon boat for one summer now and could not have had a better vessel for my needs.

Ok, any other thoughts would be welcomed.
Tom