Toon Brite cleaner -vs- The Works Toilet Bowl Cleaner

606WPD

Seaman Apprentice
I have read numerous times on here that the active ingredient in The Works Toilet Bowl Cleaner (hydrochloric acid) is bad for aluminum and should never be used to clean pontoons.

However, I just looked up the MSDS for Toon Brite pontoon cleaner and found that the active ingredient is hydrochloric and sulfuric acid. Starbrite aluminum cleaner uses hydrochloric acid also.

Why would a product designed specifically to clean aluminum pontoons use a substance that is bad for aluminum?

I'm confused.

Last edited:

calvinator

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Toon Brite cleaner -vs- The Works Toilet Bowl Cleaner

HCl will damage all surfaces.

It is the concentration level in the toilet bowl cleaner and toon brite that makes it OK to use. Check out the MSDS again, I suspect you'll find the HCl concentration is 5-10%. The rest is water, fragrance, foamer.

An option for you to consider. Go to the home improvement store and get a gallon of muratic acid. The concetration should be around ~30% HCl, 70% water straight out of the gallon jug.

Then use a 50-50 mix of muratic acid and water in a pump sprayer and use it to clean your toons. Your concentration should be around 15% HCl and 85% water at this point --- right on par with those other chemicals.

That concentration will clean all the gunk off your pontoons and motor easily. Powerwash it off after a few minutes. Muratic Acid is a common boat yard lower hull cleaner.

You might be left with white chalky mineral build up. That is pretty common. You need to scrape or sand that off. No spray on cleaner or powerwasher will get that off, it is mineral deposit.

Last edited:

606WPD

Seaman Apprentice

So are you saying that is IS ok to use The Works Toilet Bowl Cleaner? I've used it for a couple years and it worked great but got concerned when I read how bad it supposedly was on aluminum.

The Works is $1 at the dollar store, Toon Brite is 10+ times that at the marine store.

That math isn't that hard to figure out, even for a financial planner.

:D

calamus

Cadet

then sharkhide them when done.

WaterDR

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Folks....only use cleaners that are designed for the intended use. First, it is a violation of the law (not that anyone will ever get in trouble for it, buts its true). Second, many products designed with acids to clean metals also have corrosion inhibitors. A toilet bowl cleaner will have none of those. You can't go by the MSDS because only those ingredients required by law will be listed if they are above the threshold and then only ranges are required. Lastly, the white coatings left behind after acid cleanings are not coatings or deposits that the acid did not remove but rather probably Aluminum-oxide which is a by-product of aluminum radidly corroding....a result of using acid on aluminum.

Guys, healthy aluminum should be dark in color. THIS is how aluminum protects itself from further corrosion. Attempts to remove this layer will only remove the metal and run the risk of creating problems. The only thing we should be concerned about is removing organics such as grime and algae. Acids are not needed to remove these materials.

Shark hide is a complete waste of time for anyone who leaves their boats in the water. Its a nice product if you do not.

606WPD

Seaman Apprentice

Thank you WaterDR.