Repairing Fuel Gauge Sending Unit

Looking into a few problems with my new to me '89 StarCraft SD 240. The fuel gauge wasn't working, so I started with checking the voltages at gauge, and all checked ok. Took sender wire off center of sender and touched to ground and gauge pegged out to full. I figure bad sender, so I undo the screws holding it in and pull it up to where the (cork?) ball on end is. My problem is the cork will not fit through the opening in the top of tank without wiggling and working it. The cork is evidently not floating because while messing with the sender the fuel gauge will go up and down. Any suggestions of how to get the cork (float) through the hole so I can replace it, without filling my tank with a bunch of cork that falls off of it. I hung it up where the cork wasn't in the fuel that is in the tank now, hoping it would dry out some overnight and shrink. Tank is about 3/4 full right now and I'd hate to have to drain and clean it if I can help it. Any help is greatly appreciated.

MinUph

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Repairing Fuel Gauge Sending Unit

It went in that way. Has to come out the same way. Maybe it will shrink enough. Can you get at it through the filler tube? Maybe you could do something through the fill tube.

crb478

Lieutenant Junior Grade

If it doesn't shrink put something like a thick plastic bag or a woman's stocking footy around it to contain the cork and squeeze it down with a pair of plyers. break it up if needed and then pull everything out

EricJRW

Chief Petty Officer

My gas tank has a huge access port on the side. When I looked into my gauge problem, I determined it went in through the side of the tank, not the logical hole that it is mounted in.

One way in one way out. the fill tube is way to long and comes in too far behind it to work it through there. No access ports that I can see. The plastic bag trick is genius, I will give it a try. Thanks for the advice.

Got it out, and replaced the cork on end of rod. Gauge working perfectly now. .50 cent fixes are great.

DaJones

Recruit
Where did you get the float (cork) my gauge works perfect if lifting the sender arm outside the tank. I think my cork is saturated and heavy. Gauge reads 1/2 when full

Outsider

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Did you use a float that is fuel rated? If not, expect it to happen again in 201x ... :gossip: