slides???

MASTERBrian

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I just purchased a 1990 18' sun tracker bass buggy. I basically bought this because the price was right and I wanted to see what the pontoon life is about!! I'm not new to boating, as we also own a Ranger Fish/Ski, but that's running low on space for the family....

I have an 8yr old and a 4yr old and think they'd really enjoy a slide, but I am not really wanting an inflatable one, where do people find those plastic ones? I figure I could safely install one off the back, especially if I can get one that curves a little.

Last edited:

Malibu Rudder

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: slides???

I am not sure what others do but I have seen many pictures where people have installed the slides from Lowes, Menards or Home Depot. You might consider checking out the swing set section in those stores. I have never installed one on a boat so I do not know the feasibility of that route but it is something to consider.

BatDaddy1887

Chief Petty Officer

You will also need to install a pump to get water running down the slide.

junkman41

Petty Officer 1st Class

you could also try a pool company they might have a slide with water lines attached already, just a thought

MASTERBrian

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Looked on Craigslist and saw a pool slide, but it was kind of pricey, considering I'd have to be modified anyway. Thinking a tiny tikes play slide is the way to go, just need to go look at one in person.

EricJRW

Chief Petty Officer

I'd love to find some of those half-pipes the water parks use.

dls322

Petty Officer 1st Class

Craigslist is probably your best bet if you want to keep your cost low. I actually drve by a house that had a yellow 8' one outside for the trash. i stuffed it in my hatchback cause i wanted a slide on the toon as well. When the wife put her foot down and shattered my slide dream i sold it for $30 on craigslist :)

EricJRW

Chief Petty Officer

Craigslist is probably your best bet if you want to keep your cost low. I actually drve by a house that had a yellow 8' one outside for the trash. i stuffed it in my hatchback cause i wanted a slide on the toon as well. When the wife put her foot down and shattered my slide dream i sold it for $30 on craigslist :)

Your wife must have a big foot! I would definitely have vetoed that foot placement. :laugh:

Bamaman1

Lieutenant Commander

I wouldn't suggest putting any slide on a 18' pontoon boat. You just don't have the room.

MASTERBrian

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I wouldn't suggest putting any slide on a 18' pontoon boat. You just don't have the room.
Can I ask why you say that? The reason I ask, is that by my measurements, I could hang a 5' slide off the back rail and it wouldn't stick out any further than the motor. I realize that's not a huge slide, but one that a 4y/o and an 8y/o would surely have a blast with. They'd have to climb up the rear seat to get on it, but who cares....

Eric, I ditto your statement....the guys that let their wives put their foots down, make the rest of us look bad!! :rolleyes:

MASTERBrian

Petty Officer 3rd Class

This is the slide I'm currently looking at for my situation. It's 17"-22" wide and about 64" long, which will just clear the back of the pontoon.
Also, if you notice it has a place for the slide to 'bolt' on up high as well as a mounting backet in the middle and it appears I could even add something to the bottom portion. Thought??

Step2 Naturally Playful Big Folding Slide - Step2 - Toys "R" Us

2013-07-28 13.56.26save.jpgslide back.jpgslide front.jpg

Malibu Rudder

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I would be concerned the kids would hit their heads on the toon if it just barely clears the toon. I do not think the length of the slide is long enough to be much fun. You would need something to support the bottom of the slide...it does not look rigid enough to support the weight of the child. Appears it would just collapse into the water.

EricJRW

Chief Petty Officer

How about shooting that thing out one of the side doors? I'd be concerned about one of the kids hitting the motor too. And yeah, while it might entertain the 4YO, the 8YO might be a bit big for it.

MASTERBrian

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I understand the 8y/o might be on the "getting to old for it" side, but I can't do much about that. It pretty much something this size or nothing. 64" is about the longest I can get away with before it would enter the water and it's the perfect width. It'll easily clear the motor and the pontoon. As for sturdiness.....I definitely need to go to store and check it out. I'm kind of hoping I can find one online cheaper, but of course it's not like $80 is a huge loss if it only lasts a couple of years.

Hmmm....

Old Screwball

Petty Officer 1st Class

SLIDE... we don't need no stinking slides!

I "RE-purposed" I love that buzz word... I trash picked a broken "Little Tyke" kiddy slide from the neighbor's garbage. Their dog had 'eaten' the stairs. A couple of screw eyes, a little piece of rigid electrical conduit and we have a zero dollar slide for my 4 year old grand daughter. You don't need hoses or sprayers, a quick splash will wet it for her first run, after that her wet butt works just fine. I've fabricated taller brackets from the play pen wall, when she gets bigger, but we have a 1 year old that will be using it next year.

Attachments

• 100_0772.jpg
    100_0772.jpg
    147.1 KB · Views: 0

EricJRW

Chief Petty Officer

^^^ The look on your grand-daughter's face tells it all. Great job!

Malibu Rudder

Petty Officer 2nd Class

That's awesome!!! I love it and that looks much safer! Thank you for sharing. :)

MASTERBrian

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks Steve, that gives me some ideas on how to make one work for me. Wish I could track down a zero $$ one as well....