access to the fuel gauge sender in my '99 Landau dx18 tri-toon

Thuddriver

Recruit
Have found a mountain of advice on analyzing fuel gauge problems (mine is constant full indication). But I can't locate the wires and cover plate bolts described in the instructions. Where, relative to the fuel fuller hose and adjacent vent hose, is the sender located? Thanks Thuddriver

MinUph

Chief Petty Officer
Re: access to the fuel gauge sender in my '99 Landau dx18 tri-toon

Normally the sending unit is bolted on top of a fuel tank. Unless some new technology has come about that should be where it is. A round plate about 2" in diameter.

philmay75

Seaman Apprentice
Re: access to the fuel gauge sender in my '99 Landau dx18 tri-toon

Thuddriver,

Here's a pic I happened to have when I was re-wiring mine. I may be wrong, but the way I understand these to work is there is a float on a swing arm in your tank. As the float moves up and down, the arm contacts different resistance (ohm) levels and the gauge translates that into empty to full. Complete resistance = empty. So if you are full all the time, then you have a short somewhere = no resistance.

This could be a short in the wires, or it could be that the insulation between the ground and lead wire on the unit itself is shorted. Had this happen on my ski boat. best way I found to test it is to remove the unit off the tank, and put an ohmmeter on the leads as I move the float up and down manually. There may be better ways, but that's how I figured out mine was bad. Good luck!!

photo (5).JPG