Installig 5ft vhf antenna and vhf radio on pontoon

brooksville_rebel

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hello
Like the title says going to be installing a 5ft fiberglass vhf antenna and Uniden 380 vhf fixed radio on our 24ft Grumman pontoon. Were the original radio was which is under the console alcove mounted to the back wall the new radio won't fit. In fact I don't see any wire holes or anything for the previous radio unless they just ran them on the outside through the back of the console. So if I wish to put it there I have to drill new holes through the metal wall and mount and then its at my knees down below my vision and earing which I do have some earring lost. However I kinda liked it on top of the console but then its out in the sun all the time. So kinda figured that isn't too good of a option unless I rig up some type of quick disconnect for the wires and remove every time we park the boat which doesn't sound like fun or a great idea either.
How bad would it be if on top of the console ?

Also need to install the antenna. Read it should be high up but other than the bimini no were to attach to and not really keen on putting it to that. I have seen some pics were its on the outside wall next to the console which would be fine I guess but that doesn't get it much height. And if the height really isn't gonna matter could I put it in the back of the boat on the deck in a corner ? There it could stay up or there's enough room to lay it down if need be.

Thanks for the help and advice.
Mark

Old Screwball

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Installig 5ft vhf antenna and vhf radio on pontoon

I have my VHF mounted next to the leg well on right side of the consul. The antenna is mounted next to the council with a pivot bracket. Works fine. I called Boat US and got them at Needles (about 35 miles south). I also get the Kingman (45 miles) weather alerts. Got my unit on E-bay, new but opened for 50 bucks.

Good Luck.

MinUph

Chief Petty Officer

I have ours mounted below on the console. Don't use it all that much but can if the need arises. You can get a remote speaker if the need is there. Most radios will have a external speaker plug. I mount the antenna on the fence rail next to the console. On a bracket so I can lower it when in the rivers and trees are low. The thing with height is this. VHF radios go by line of sight. So the higher the antenna is the further the line of site is. It depends on where you are and what waters you travel. Some guy use handhelds with no problem, some have shorty antennas. It depends on what you feel you need. I always use 5-6' ones.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

This all reminds me of the 60s when I had a 1200lb Fiat 600 with a CB radio and a 106" whip antenna.
I swear when at a traffic light you could feel the movement of the antenna as it settled from the cars motion.
Good luck with your VHF.

Capt Sully

Petty Officer 1st Class

I mounted mine on the Bimini also. This is the 5' steal VHF MNO type. When the Bimini is down it still is out of the way for towing.

VHF Antenna.jpgAntenna down.jpg