Fuel tank fill extension?

guy48065

Chief Petty Officer
My fuel tank is sitting in the corner of my floor rather than out on the tube because of the difficulty in filling the tank. I don't have a back door or even a ladder on my '79 Crest 21'. Leaning out over the railing will probably make my chiropractor happy, but not me :rolleyes:
Is there an extension neck for the tank--something a little like NASCARs use-- that would put the filler up on the rail where it's easy to fill with the can?

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral
Re: Fuel tank fill extension?

Thats why I use the fuel dock at the marina.

rogerwa

Commander

Why couldn't you use a siphon out of the fill tank into the boat tank. So long as you have a valve to stop the flow, let gravity do the work.

guy48065

Chief Petty Officer

Looks like I leave it as is. :(

MinUph

Chief Petty Officer

what type of tank do you have? Portable?

guy48065

Chief Petty Officer

Yes the tank is portable...but the location makes it less so because it's unreachable.

What does everyone else do? My tank is on the side opposite of the helm & dock side of the boat. Should I park on the other side of the dock (this would have the prevailing winds push the boat into the dock), move the tank & tray to the helm side, or try to back to my dock when I need gas?

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral

I have twin tanks over the tubes, and I cant do the lift and bend over the rail thing so its fill it from the dock or have the guys at the fuel dock do it for me.

MinUph

Chief Petty Officer

My tank is permanent under the aft starboard side. I fill with a gas can. I did replace the tank a year ago and at the same time added a sundeck to the aft. In this modification I placed the fill cap in an easily accessible location. In your case I would back to the gas dock if that is what it takes to make it work. On a portable tank I don't think you could legally or safely add a fill tube and cap to the line.

old jim

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Have you ever seen or heard of a jiggle siphon? Check on Amazon.com for
one . They work great, can empty 5 gal in about 5 min. Out tank still has
to be above fill tank. i really like the one i bought. old jim

guy48065

Chief Petty Officer

IF my tank were out on the end of the log where it's intended to be I COULD use a siphon or a long funnel to fill it--if I could reach the cap to remove it. This old boat has no platform in the back and no rear door so it's pull up to the dock on the tank side OR bring the tank inside the fence, as the PO has done. Other newer 'toons around my lake seem to have the same access issue if the tank is out on the log. Those with the under-deck tanks have nice accessible fill tubes & spin-off caps at a convenient height.
For the kind of money folks throw at pontoon boats I'm surprised there isn't a fix for this inconvenience. Much smaller and cheaper watercraft have way more convenient and spill-proof fill locations than my unreachable "tank over yonder". Just plain dumb.

I called Moeller to ask if they make a long fill tube for portable tanks. The rep I spoke with said she's never had anyone ask so I guess I'm just picky or nuts and I'll shut up about it now.

rogerwa

Commander

On my old boat this was a pain as I had to open the sun deck and lean over the rear couch and will the tank with my chest leaning on the rear of the couch. Not fun, so I feel for you. Maybe the best option is to move the fuel to the starboard end of the log so it is accessible from the dock. My guess is that you have the battery on the dock side right now. You should be able to easiy reverse those two.

guy48065

Chief Petty Officer

Starboard tray was removed I think to make room for the steering cable. Maybe I can change that a bit.
I think it would be easier to build a bench over the battery and tank.

Blujay96

Petty Officer 1st Class

How about doing a built in tank with a fill on the outside. That's what my pontoon has.

guy48065

Chief Petty Officer

How about doing a built in tank with a fill on the outside. That's what my pontoon has.
Is yours above or below the deck? Are there any legal issues with putting the tank in the "passenger" area? I know there are coast guard rules about limiting the amount of gas that can pool if there is a spill. Sticking a tank inside the furniture sounds like it could be a violation of that rule.

Blujay96

Petty Officer 1st Class

Mine is above deck on the very back of the boat. It had its own enclosure. The other side has the battery in it.

MinUph

Chief Petty Officer

Is yours above or below the deck? Are there any legal issues with putting the tank in the "passenger" area? I know there are coast guard rules about limiting the amount of gas that can pool if there is a spill. Sticking a tank inside the furniture sounds like it could be a violation of that rule.

My tank is in a compartment in the rear. One side has the batteries one side has the fuel tank. It is a permanent tank with fill hose and cap. There is no pooling of leaking fuel as it would run overboard. As a matter of fact my old tank did spring a minor leak and I found it when I looked in the water and saw some fuel there. It was replaced with a plastic permanent tank.