Circuit Breaker Keeps Blowing

BG-Pete

Cadet
I have a brand new Xcursion X25RF. The circuit breaker under the horn keep going off when the radio is on. Sometimes it happens right away. Sometimes it could take 3 hours to blow. Of course, the dealer we bought it from cannot recreate the problem. At first they thought it might be a bad Aux cord from the iPod. But it also blows when the cord is unplugged and on FM. Anyone ever had this happen or have any ideas. I told them to replace the radio. But because they cannot replicate the problem, they want to trouble shoot first. I just hope the lake is not frozen back over when they figure this out. Thanks for your help.

Bill3434

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Circuit Breaker Keeps Blowing

Could be a bad breaker. I would find the power consumption of all the devices on the circuit add them up and campare that to what the rating is on the breaker. If the load is over the rating of the breaker thats one problem. I would check for loose wires and wires that maybe causing a short. Something might not have been wired correctly from the factory. I have to agree with the dealer on this one.

RogersJetboat454

Commander

Welcome to Iboats.

Sounds like the dealer actually has their wits about them.
If it was your money paying to fix the problem, wouldn't you rather have them figure out what the problem actually is rather than potentially blowing a bunch of money by just throwing parts at the problem until they got it right?

Would be the same thing if you just bought a new car. The dealer is accountable to the manufacturer for any parts they replace under warranty. Diagnosis must be done to prove the part was bad, or else the dealer ends up eating the costs of the part(s) and labor.

Be patient. If the breaker blows as readily as you say, chances are they'll find the problem soon. ;)

BG-Pete

Cadet

Thanks Bill. Yes, that was also discussed. One thing that I forgot to mention is that after a while (few hours), I get nothing but crackling coming out of the speakers which is what kind of pointed me to the radio. That being said, I also thought it might be a moisture issue because my cover does absolutely nothing to stop the rain. They are ordering me a new cover. But I digress. It's frustrating that you spend that kind of money this kind of stuff happens. That's just the thing...Stuff Happens. I've been dealing with this dealer/marina for 20 year so I know them very well. They will get to the bottom it it. Just have to be patient I guess (even though it has been 6 weeks already).

BG-Pete

Cadet

Welcome to Iboats.

Sounds like the dealer actually has their wits about them.
If it was your money paying to fix the problem, wouldn't you rather have them figure out what the problem actually is rather than potentially blowing a bunch of money by just throwing parts at the problem until they got it right?

Would be the same thing if you just bought a new car. The dealer is accountable to the manufacturer for any parts they replace under warranty. Diagnosis must be done to prove the part was bad, or else the dealer ends up eating the costs of the part(s) and labor.

Be patient. If the breaker blows as readily as you say, chances are they'll find the problem soon. ;)

Never thought about the accountability. Good point. Thanks.

Bill3434

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks Bill. Yes, that was also discussed. One thing that I forgot to mention is that after a while (few hours), I get nothing but crackling coming out of the speakers which is what kind of pointed me to the radio. That being said, I also thought it might be a moisture issue because my cover does absolutely nothing to stop the rain. They are ordering me a new cover. But I digress. It's frustrating that you spend that kind of money this kind of stuff happens. That's just the thing...Stuff Happens. I've been dealing with this dealer/marina for 20 year so I know them very well. They will get to the bottom it it. Just have to be patient I guess (even though it has been 6 weeks already).

6 weeks, you own a battleship.

BG-Pete

Cadet

Just a tad bigger than my 21 ft Rinker. But the family is growing so..........

5150abf

Vice Admiral

I would have them change the breaker first in case that is bad which does happen but if that isn't it this could take a bit to chase down, probabaly a screw through a wire harness and it has to jiggle just right to short.

I hate electrical problems, at least this one is under warranty, good luck

Okieboatguy

Petty Officer 1st Class

I would have to agree with 5150, sounds like a screw or bolt through a wiring harness. To help narrow down the offender, pull the (+) power from the source before the breaker on other accessories, like the radio. If it doesn't blow when the radio is disconnected, look at that area. If it does, then you have eliminated the radio as the source. If you are unable to re-create the issue that way, pull the power at the breaker on each one and try again.
As a note remember when you were in High School algebra and thought to yourself, I will never do this in real life.......... Well, this is Algebra, just not numbers you are taking it in half and solving for "X".
However, you said you heard a scratching sound through the speakers, so is what I would do is if you find it is the radio is I would re-run the power from the radio to the battery, and pull the old out. I would suspect that an original wire was nicked the (+) red, power lead to be more specific.

BG-Pete

Cadet

Finally, the problem was happening all day yesterday. Had a device tech meet me at the dock and he got to witness it first hand. He crawls behind the dash and says, "ok, we have a problem." The receiver/amp unit was overheating to the point where he could not touch it and smelled it burning. Then POP, breaker blows. He went back to the store and grabbed a new amp/receiver from another new toon and installed it right away. Been out all morning. So far so good.

Bill3434

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hope that solves your problem so that you can have some Happy Boating.

BG-Pete

Cadet

Thanks Bill. I think that did it. All day on the water today, no issues.

wgl333

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Seems like your dealer is quite attentive to quality service. Congrats!