2002 sun tracker party cruiser wont start

liftinglarge

Cadet
I got a great deal on a 2002 sun tracker party cruiser. I has a 115hp mercury(tracker) outboard. Everything works but I cannot get the motor to turn over. It seems like a kill switch in engaged. The owners manual says something about a kill switch lanyard that is on the forward/reverse engine control lever. There is nothing on there. Is there a kill switch I am missing. The engine is in neutral and there is plenty of power. The drive is tilted down. Not a thing happens when the key is turned. Everything on this boat is in perfect working order so i figure I am just missing something

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral
Re: 2002 sun tracker party cruiser wont start

In most cases the motor will turn over but wont start if the kill switch is pulled, and thats on the controller its self, sounds more like the battery is dead of disconnected. It may have a battery disconnect switch.

Old Screwball

Petty Officer 1st Class

My kill switch is mounted on the drivers console, not the throttle lever. 2012 Tracker party barge.

Malibu Rudder

Petty Officer 2nd Class

My kill switch lanyard is attached to the key. If your battery is connected and charged then most likely you need to locate where your kill switch lanyard is or purchase one. Did this engine work fine on your test drive?

lncoop

Vice Admiral

There are a few possibilities. First, are you absolutely certain it's in neutral? The throttle on that model (hey, that rhymes!) will appear to be in neutral when it's actually still in forward. When it's in neutral it will appear to be in idle reverse (positioned slightly down). Drove me nuts on my 2001 Suntracker until I figured out what was going on (and even after that some times). Second, the kill switch should be on the helm just forward of the control box (throttle assembly). It's just a little red toggle switch with on/off positions. The kill lanyard isn't required for it to be in the on position. Locate the kill switch and verify that it's in the correct position. If you've checked those things and confirmed that the battery's good but still have the issue check the connections. It is possible (happened to me more than once) that they're not corroded enough to prevent the T&T and house power from working but are corroded enough to impede sufficient starting power. If that checks out the only other simple potential issue is a blown fuse in the motor, which you should find toward the front on the starboard side. If that does turn out to be the issue I'd recommend asking the seller about it since a blown fuse is usually a symptom and not the problem. All that said my money is on "issue" numero uno. Let us know. Good luck and welcome aboard!