Trolling Motor on 30' Pontoon?

mike2587

Seaman Apprentice
Hello,

I purchased a 30' JAND Pontoon boat last year for about $800, no canopy, just a few bench seats and pedistal seats. The pontoons are good, the base of the boat is good and it's pretty straightforward. It's from the 70's but the biggest thing is that the pontoons are in good shape. It's always been a little hobby of mine to replace the seats here and there, fix up the carpet and eventually get a decent motor. It currently came with a 1970's Chrysler 45HP motor. The motor is shaky.... I don't feel 100% comfortable taking it out on a bigger lake in fear she's going to die on me and I won't be able to get it started. I don't have $1,500-$2,000 to spend on a new motor let alone a new one and really don't want to mess around with something used since who knows what shape it is in. I've been strongly looking into some form of an electric motor. I only use the boat for cocktail cruising on the lake, not looking for much speed really, since it's a 1970's pontoon to begin with. However, I want something that will last for a good afternoon of semi-continual use in which I could either use as a backup or just use over my Chrysler. Could I run a fairly decent trolling motor on it? If so, I'd really like to go that route if possible. Any suggestions for a trolling motor that would do the job? How much would I be looking at for the cost? If possible I'd like to maybe also get a backup battery so that I know if/when the first one goes, I have the ability to get back in time so I'm not stranded.

Any thoughts, suggestions or recommendations would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you,
Mike

BobGinCO

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Trolling Motor on 30' Pontoon?

Well, yeah, many pontoon drivers use a bow mounted trolling motor. You need to think about the weight of that boat. It might not be very fast, but if you just want to limp around, you should think of at least a 24 volt setup and 70 pounds of thrust. Keep in mind that a Pontoon boat is basically a SAIL, and you may have some issues in a bit of a breeze.

mike2587

Seaman Apprentice

I'd be looking for a transom mounted one if possible. If anything I'd like to have it as a backup insurance policy if my outboard were to go out. And in some instances might want to use it to cruise around. I completely understand the weight factor of it. With the 45HP, at certain times I could get it to plane on the water (on a good day) if that shows any indication of what it would take. Do you think if I went with an 80lb 24v motor I'd be fine? Or do you think I'll still be pushing it and might be wasting my money?

On a boat that size, at a typical "cruise" speed (slow but enough to be moving) to work my way around the lake, how long do you think a 24v 80lb would last? I guess I just want to make sure I'm not wasting my money here. Since if I bought a regular outboard comparable to 45hp I'd be looking north of $2k.

Thanks for your insight thus far.

Mike

BobGinCO

Chief Petty Officer

Well, I can't speak to battery life (I don't have an e-troller on my toon, I just run the 115 at idle). Of the people that I've talked to, they seem to get better steering with the motor in the front. Certainly, the most touchy navigation moments are when you're coming into the dock - low speed = less steering. I think the bow mount does much better in that situation. BUT - that's hearsay, and speculation.

mike2587

Seaman Apprentice

Any recommendations on an outboard? On a boat that big what do you think I'd be looking at in terms of HP? Again, just to limp around but enough to get from A to B... I guess the responses still leave me incredibly leery since using that motor as the sole powerhorse might just not be the best idea. What would one be looking at for a used motor to the HP spec I'd need? Just a suggestion is even fine. I assume I'd be safest looking for a refurb from a dealer? Or..? I guess I'm trying to find the most cost effective solution, considering the boat isn't real new to say the least, but something I'd feel fairly confident putzing around with.

Thanks.
Mike

MrMikeTN

Seaman Apprentice

Ive got a 30+ pontoon boat that is customized and weights ALOT more and has a canvas cabin on it.
First thing, what ever you do get a 24v trolling motor. A 12v one just wont have the push and will drain batteries left and right.
I have a 12/24V 45lb thrust Motorguide and it does great unless its above 12mph continious head wind.
I Also have a Minn Kota Maxxum 24V 80LB thrust that I picked up used over the winter that I replaced the 45lb with.
It definatly moves my boat ANYWHERE I want it to go and have tried it with 20-22Mph head winds.
My outboard wouldnt start one night when it was very bad foggy (visibility 30-40ft), I thought I heard a BARGE coming down the river and I was just inside the main channel. I already had the Minn Kota 80lb thrust installed, I quickly opend the front nose gate and lowered it in and placed the speed on high as it would go and started out of the main channel.
Still Couldnt get the outboard started, so we decided to try the Minn Kota all the way back to the dock, 1 1/4 miles down river, then across the river 1/8th mile. Really couldnt tell how fast it had us going due to the FOG, But it was fast enough That it was all I could do to steer hard Right to miss a RED STEEL MAIN CHANNEL BOUY. My 2 batteries still had Juice in them when we got to the dock, but about 75% of the way back I could tell they were gettin low.
Used it 2 days later in the daylight and i swear it moves my pontoon as fast as my outboard (90Hp) does when it in gear and just above idle. It throws a wake!!
The 12/24V 45lb one is great for a smaller lower profile boat, But the 80lb one is a WORKHORSE.
I picked up the Minn Kota 80lb used with foot control and Fold flat Bow Mount for $275.00
I picked up the MotorGuide 45lb used with fold mount and foor control for $50.
I replaced my forward batteries I was using for trolling and running my electronics and Lighting with:
2 Autozone Duralast Heavy Industrial 4D-1000 Batteries on sale for $125.99 each.( 1000cca / Reserve Capacity in minutes : 295)
You cant kill these batteries, Or at least I havent been able to. Massive Reserve capacity!! BUT DAMN they are heavy!!

This should give you a good comparision due to our boats are about the same size but mine is much heavier and mine is totally NON aerodynamic.
As far as main Outboard Motors for your pontoon........
I have a Mercury 90hp inline 6 on mine, I had some electrical problems that I got resolved on it and now it hurls my pontoon way faster than I want it to go.
If I roll up the canvas cabin and lower the Aluminum top down to the rails, take the generator and about 400 more pounds of gear off it Ive had it up over 28mph.
SO maybe a 15hp-30hp would do you great if you dont need to go above 6-8 Mph.You can pick them up used and running great for $250-$500 around here.

Mi duckdown

Commander

I Would find out what is wrong with the motor you have.??? Those old Chryslers are pretty simple.

mike2587

Seaman Apprentice

Well it's a 1975 Chrysler 45hp which ran rough last year when trying to give it gas and would occasionally die, anything over 5-10mph and it revs very spiratically but some how held on after some work to get me from a to b. I'm going to a slightly bigger lake and didn't want to be in the middle in the evening with a motor that won't get me back. I also didn't winterize the 2 stroke Chrysler this past year, but had it in a warm garage over the winter... I realize I completely dropped the ball on that one, I had planned on taking it out much later but due to weather I took it out unexpectedly and forgot about it.

What would one recommend for spring cleaning for the motor under those circumstances?

As for a trolling motor... I really want it to be able to do a few laps around one of the lake bays or at least get me 4-8 hours of continual "putzing" 5-10mph. The entire lake is about 11 miles of shoreline from end to end. I was looking at the 68hp pontoon minn kota since with batteries I'd already be around $8-900 and want to keep this as cost effective as needed, but don't know if that would have enough power? Any additional thoughts on the trolling motor?

Thanks.

Todd4

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have a 22' tri-toon with a 80# 24V Minn Kota mounted on the bow. I may hit 3 MPH wide open, on a good day, max. You'll never hit 10 MPH.

Also, mount it on the bow. Pontoon boats blow in the wind and you'll constantly be trying to 'outrun' the boat blowing sideways, with a TM mounted in the stern. If you are blown sideways with a trolling motor mounted on the bow, the boat will just pivit around the trolling motor. It may point in a different direction (into the wind), but it will stay in essentially the same place (under low power), and then you can steer in the direction you want to go, give it more power and move in the direction you wish.

Hope I explained that well enough.

Todd

mike2587

Seaman Apprentice

So in other words you are saying you don't recommend it? I guess 10mph was a little far fetched, but I guess with 3-5 people on the boat on a breezy (not too windy) day on a lake I want it to be able to go through it fairly easily at least.