Custom furniture

Ecneps27

Recruit
Just bought a 24' Party Barge. Looking to replace all of the furniture. There isn't any furniture in the front and just the L shaped bench in the back. I'd like to build custom furniture for it rather than buy the basic replacement furniture. I'd like to make this all very custom and fit to the boat rather than buy cookie cutter furniture. I have seen several ideas that I want to incorporate into the design including a lockable storage area for valuables under one of the bench seats, netting on the bottom side of the seat for storage, lighted cup holders and possibly a built in sink and mini fridge. So my question has mostly to do with the construction of the furniture. Correct ways to build what I want and make it so the upholster can attach the upholstry. I'm planning to use 1/2 and or 3/4" MDO and then epoxy paint it to make it last longer. I'd also like to construct a new helm out of styrofoam or card board and glass it.
Looking for advice and ideas. Photos are great!! Thanks!!!!!

junkman41

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Custom furniture

I cant give you any advice, but take pictures of your project and share them with us

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral

The plastic is actually better, it is lighter and wont absorb water or mold.

Okieboatguy

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yes go with plastic if possible. Like Hawker stated, wood collects water, and water anywhere other than under the boat is the enemy. However if you are going with wood go with marine grade, mdo, or fiberglass exterior grade, don't do pressure treated. That being said, one of the nice things about pontoons is the fact that they are "Cookie Cutter" boats, and because they are, you can get some good quality stuff on a budget that unless you are a professional upholsterer, you could not do better for less money.