VHF Antenna for Pontoon

Lurch77

Petty Officer 2nd Class
This is a pontoon specific radio question, so I hope the moderators will allow this here.
I boat on the waters of Green Bay (Lake Michigan), where we can be miles from the next closest boater or land. I have decided on a decent VHF radio model, but I am still a bit confused about the right antenna. I've done research and read about the different heights and gain and such. I am pretty sure I want to go with an 8' antenna because of the distance my signal will need to travel. Then I started reading about how boats have a lack of grounding field or some such thing that can reduce the signal, and antenna placement can be critical. I originally planned on mounting the antenna in front of the windshield on the console, but realize now that's not a good idea, both for performance, and for bimini top clearance. So where and how do I mount this thing? I've seen some people mention the forward rail. But I cannot find any square tube ratcheting mounts. Or am I on the completely wrong track to begin with?

MinUph

Chief Petty Officer
Re: VHF Antenna for Pontoon

Hi Lurch,
I have an 8' antenna mounted on a ratchet mount bolted to the fence rail right next to the console. Works great.I can raise and lower it easily and trailer when necessary. I bolted through the rail not using a square rail mount as you are looking for. It's a permanent thing so I'm not concerned with the holes. As a matter of fact I had to replace the mount and it bolted right up to the old holes. Don't use those plastic mounts the sun eats them up for breakfast. SS is the best way to go.
Through the years I've heard all sorts of dos and don't on VHF and have had many radios in that time. They all worked well and distance was very good. I always use 8' antennas.

Old Screwball

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: VHF Antenna for Pontoon

I have my antenna mounted in the same place as Min. Also works great. Marine radios and antennas are designed not to need a 'ground plane' Like motorhomes, the main body isn't metal and won't reflect the radio waves. I bought a Standard Horizon Eclipse VHF radio on E-Bay new in the box for 50 bucks.

What ever you do, NEVER say "10-4 Good Buddy, keep the wet side down, dry side up" on your marine radio.