Pontoon Audio

spaceman123

Recruit
Hi guys, with summer coming up in Minnesota and the lakes thawing out I'm getting ready for summer. I've owned a Palm Beach pontoon for a couple years. We've always had friends over and relaxed on the boat with an old radio for music. This winter that died.

I have always wanted some bigger sound in the first place.

So, I have 2 options I've come up with.

1. I have a working home stereo system that I hardly use inside.

MCH-EC77

I was thinking of getting a 500 watt inverter that I could plug the stereo into and use one of the many deep cycle batteries I've collected over the years to power the system.

You can get these for $45 at your local home improvement store.

2. Do the job right and get a permanent speaker solution installed in the pontoon.
I don't know where I would begin whit installing speakers in a pontoon but it can't bee extremely hard. I would want a system or set that you can hear from 30 feet away as we like to go to the local sand bar and hang out.
If anything I'd only be able to spend under $300 on this.

So what do you guys think? Or do you have any other recommendations that would work.

I require AM/FM radio and an AUX port for plugging in my phone.

Any help is appreciated.

-Matt

Lurch77

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Pontoon Audio

If it was me, I'd do a dedicated 12v audio system. There are a lot of options out there. Do a google search for "marine audio package" and you will find head units with speakers for good prices. While the more money you spend, the more features and power you get, you don't need much. My Sun Tracker has a Jensen head unit and four speakers from the factory. It sounds pretty good, and gets plenty loud enough to hear while sitting on a sand bar.

I have seen a guy that mounted two speakers facing into the pontoon for listening while on board. Then he mounted two more on the front of the boat, facing out, for listening while swimming or while beached at the sandbar. He wired them as "front" and "rear", so he can use the fader setting to have either set playing alone, or all four playing at once. This allows him to crank it up for swimmers without making people on the boat shout over the music. Or, conversely, to play music for people on board without annoying other boaters with the outside speakers.

rogerwa

Commander

I installed this head unit on my new pontoon last year. The 'brains install under the console and the controller mounts whereever you want it. I have mine setup with a built in USB/aux in jack.
Amazon.com: Clarion CMS1 Source Commander with USB Port: Electronics
ASA Electronics JENAUX USB/Aux Audio Input Jack : Amazon.com : Electronics

I paired this with Infinity 6x9 speakers.
Amazon.com: Infinity Reference 6912m 6 x 9-Inch 105-Watt High-Performance 2-Way Marine Loudspeaker (Pair): Electronics

I have only one pair installed so far and just with the head unit amp and the two speakers it is more than enough for the 25' boat. I am planning to add a set of the 6.5" infinity speakers to the front just for good distribution.

I thought I would need a sub for the base but I am finding this unit along with the 6x9's puts our more than enough..

dls322

Petty Officer 1st Class

I would just do the job right and install a stereo. That home stereo system you are going to have to take in and out of the boat each time because it's not water proof, and you will have wires everywhere. Also since it's not secured down it could do flying if you hit some waves.

If your not i need of anything high end you can get a cheap Dual or Boss marine package with speakers for super cheap on ebay or amazon. But if you want to have something nice that will last, upgrade to a name brand setup.

Okieboatguy

Petty Officer 1st Class

I am not sure the inverter idea would work out all that easily or as you would plan. I would think that unless you go with a high end inverter it would put out allot of line noise. That being said I put 2 Yamaha outdoor speakers mounted on my Bimini top that I can rotate to where I need that sound to go, along with 2 6" round JBL speakers in the front of the boat matched to a bluetooth capable Pyle marine stereo. I want to say that all in all it all ran less than $225. Here are the links of to what I purchased over the winter and that are ready to go;

Amazon.com: Yamaha NS-AW150W 2-Way Outdoor Speakers (Pair, White): Electronics

Amazon.com: JBL MS6200 6.5-Inch 2-Way Marine Speakers: Electronics

Amazon.com: Pyle PLMR17BTB AM/FM-MPX In-Dash Marine Detachable Face Radio with SD/MMC/USB Player and Bluetooth Wireless Technology: Car Electronics

5150abf

Vice Admiral

90% of a stereo is the speakers so put the ,majority of your money there, you can run a crap head unit through really good speakers and it sounds pretty good.

They are fairly high line but Wet Sounds speakers are crazy good, right up there with Rockford Fosgate.

Maybe do it over time, get really good speakers now and a cheap head unit then as you have the cash upgrade the head unit just make sure the are MARINE, even car stuff doesn't last long on a boat and home stuff lasts even less.

I had a home stereo in my garage and it died in pretty quick order from the humidity.