Rubber roofing on pontoon deck

rooferben

Recruit
I am a commercial roofer and I have not seen where anyone has adhered rubber roofing over their plywood deck before installing new carpet. I am at that piont in my 24 ft. restore project. What do you guys think of my ideal.

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral
Re: Rubber roofing on pontoon deck

I think it work fine as long as its only on one side, the wood needs to breath to dry and it will get wet one way or another.

5150abf

Vice Admiral

What is the point of doing this, if it is to keep the wood from getting wet it will only half work as the bottom is under constant splash.

Just seems like am extra step to me unless this is normal ply and you are trying to seal in which case it will only half work like I said

rooferben

Recruit

Yes, it would do several things. It would keep the top of the wood completely dry, act as a gasket around all penetrations and with out adding to much more weight. I have skinned the bottom of the toon structure with aluminum sheet so the bottom of the plywood does not get wet.

Grub54891

Vice Admiral

Take a peice of plywood,bigger than a doormat,set it on a couple 2x4's cut a chunk of roofing the size of a doormat and set it on there,soak with hose and check the next day. It will stay wet under there,we had a doormat on our deck at the cabin,it was always damp under it,rotted the boards in that spot only.no more mat! I'd think the same thing would happen to the wood undre the roofing,yeah it can breath from underneath but it'll never dry on top....?
Grub