Pontoon Horn Location

jweckley

Cadet
Long time lurker, first post. I have a 1973 Aloha 24 Foot Pontoon. Recently redone. I am thinking of putting a 5 trumpet air horn on the boat. Plays the first 12 notes of Dixie. (Big Dukes of Hazzard fan!) I am curious as to location. It is rated for 118+ Decibels and didn't really want to put it on the side of the console as it would be very loud for anyone forward. The boat has no furniture on it at all. Its a BYOC Bring your own chair rig. Can i mount the horns underneath? Forward? Backwards? Would they be removed forcibly by wake? They are only plastic. The compressor will be mounted under the drivers console. I only have a drivers chair and console and twin bimini tops. Any suggestions would be great. I look forward to your creative answers! Thanks!

MinUph

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Pontoon Horn Location

Mount them in your car I don't want to hear them on the water lol

Mi duckdown

Commander

The time on the water should peaceful. I know were can mount it, but I would get booted off the site.

junkman41

Petty Officer 1st Class

I agree, I wouldnt want to hear that horn while I was out Fishing and taking in the beauty of nature.

Jeep Man

Commander

Mount it under the console and point upward toward the driver.

BobGinCO

Chief Petty Officer

The purpose of the horn on a watercraft is for safety, and signalling other watercraft. In passing and overtaking other watercraft there are specific horn blast patterns which are to be used (take the BoatUS water safety course - it's free, and it will explain this - plus, it saved me $70 on insurance). You can not produce the proper signals with a horn that plays Dixie. Keep that horn on your diesel truck with the 6" stacks rolling coal.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

I vote for mounting it forward under the pontoon. It should last about 10 minutes in that position. But seriously, I agree with the others. Nobody wants to be blasted with that noise on the water and that includes property owners.

MinUph

Chief Petty Officer

jweckley,
I hope you can take the abuse. We like to have fun here but as you see we're all pretty seasoned boatman and do like to tell it like it is.
Welcome aboard.

Old Screwball

Petty Officer 1st Class

A better idea, mount the horns right next to the 12" speakers you have blasting Rap music on the lake. That way, EVERYONE will notice you.

My Aaaa Ooooga horn lasted less than a day before I was Boooo'd off the lake.

5150abf

Vice Admiral

Check your local laws they might cover that.

Here in Indiana it has to be places so it has to be "Open to the air", in other words you can't just stick it in a locker or under the console, it has to have a hole cut.

We mount them at work towards the front on the back of a crossmember off to the side to avoid a lot of splash, we ship nationwide so that location must meet every ones regulations

A better idea, mount the horns right next to the 12" speakers you have blasting Rap music on the lake. That way, EVERYONE will notice you.

My Aaaa Ooooga horn lasted less than a day before I was Boooo'd off the lake.

1. How do you know it is rap music? Going by the fact that he wants a horn that plays dixie I would have guessed it would have been dueling banjos blasting out of the speakers.

2. If you were boo'ed off of the lake due to your "Aaaa Ooooga horn" then you were obviously not using it for its intended purpose and that is signaling and not the joy of tooting your own horn (lol).

I have 2 horns, an electric one that you could probably only hear like 50 feet away that I use to signal movement around crowded dock or marinas and a hand held air horn just in case i need to be heard from far away.

gm280

Supreme Mariner

I think an appropriate horn is a needed item on most if not every boat and do plan on installing one on my boat rebuilding project. I've been on lakes early in the morning with so much fog that you could hardly see 30 feet in front of you. A horn comes in good if you are sitting there and start to hear somebody coming your direction. But loud fancy horns that play tunes and/or equally loud speakers on boats on the water is exactly what I’m trying to get away from by going to a lake in the first place. Most folks want to enjoy the peace and serenity that fishing or boating on a lake or river or even the ocean provides. So that is my take on this issue and it looks like so many others’ too... JMHO!

jweckley

Cadet

I can take the abuse. Its alright. We are allowed our own opinions. I have not mounted this horn. I also boat on a lake with no house or residence of any kind. (it is a Nuclear Power Cooling Lake) all ground is protected b the state. I DO NOT listen to rap music. I honestly prefer country at a low volume. 2 61/2 speakers powered only by the deck on board. I just saw it as a fun way to announce arrival. I also have a whistle at the helm. Just a fun idea. Not the annoying constant use type. We don't really drink or party. Just swim, fish, enjoy the lake.