Pontoon boat slow speed maneuverability

rboyko

Recruit
I am getting a 2013 Suntracker 220 XP3 and am wondering how maneuverable it will be at docking speed. I need to make a fairly tight 90 degree turn. I believe there is a small keel under each of the three 26" pontoons. The boat is about 25 feet long. I would need to make the 90 degree rurn in 25 feet. Very tight. I was concidering a electric trolling motor mounted on the bow for maneuvering if necessary.

rogerwa

Commander
Re: Pontoon boat slow speed maneuverability

Thats a hard question to answer considering there is no knowledge given about the space avaiable for the turn. it also depends on your tube shape and if there is any kind of keel on the toon. any kind of edge or keel will assist in not sliding sideways. Thogh not completely.

I have a 25' with round tubes and on slow tight turns it can slide to the side especially if there is any wind or current. To dock my boat on the river, I have to turn it all the way around in the middle of the river. I have to do a 90 degree turn and back up and do another 90 degree turn, while the current pushes me sideways down the river. its not hard to do, you just need to know and compensate for the forces working against you..

southkogs

Staff member

No wind ... not bad. Lotsa' wind ... hope ya' have friends on board ;)

It'll take practice and compensation like rogerwa said. Something to remember - sometimes you can speed up a turn by turning the helm over hard the opposite direction and giving it a burst of REVERSE (don't hammer your gears). On a longer 'toon that can be especially useful.

Silver Eagle

Master Chief Petty Officer

practice, Lots of practice. If you can get a hand line on the oppisite dock you can hand line the rear around.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

An electric steer bow mounted troller is an excellent way to navigate in tight quarters. With electric steer you can steer from anywhere on the boat.

Old Screwball

Petty Officer 1st Class

I also have a 90* turn into my boat slip with little extra room. I come in perpendicular to the slip, hook the docking cleat on the pier with a boat hook and pull myself in. HINT You can get extendable painting poles at Home Depot or Lowe's, and a curved hook. screw in the hook, and collapse the pole until you need it. I carry two, makes docking real easy.

Good Luck!

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral

It just takes practice, you will get the hang of it. I sit on my boat on the slip and watch them, grins its more fun than the ramp. Its all pontoons where I am at so its interesting.

JGator

Petty Officer 2nd Class

...I come in perpendicular to the slip, hook the docking cleat on the pier with a boat hook and pull myself in....

Good Luck!

I'm surprised this made it past the moderators! :facepalm:

Bamaman1

Lieutenant Commander

You've just got to be quick spinning the steering wheel the other direction and kicking the boat in reverse to negotiate some turns.

Our worse problem is having a change of weather and facing a 20 mph cross wind with whitecaps hitting us broadside. We'll drive directly into the wind and waves and turn 90 degrees into the 13' wide boathouse while at a fast idle in forward gear. Then, straighten the wheel and kick it hard into reverse to stop momentum.

It's just all practice. And sometimes muscle power helps.