Sealing hole around wires/rigging

boat_beginner

Seaman
I recently bought a pontoon, and under the console the PO cut a 2"-3" hole in the deck for wiring and steering controls. Does everyone else have their boat set up the same way, or how else could they be ran? And since I already have the hole, how could I seal around it?
Also, how do you have the wires for lights n such ran under the boat? Through plastic conduit? Trying figure out how to secure wires to the boat and keep them as dry as possible, and orderly so it ain't such a mess like it is now

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: Sealing hole around wires/rigging

You can buy a boot that will seal the hold. Yes - wires and cables are run under the boat. The throttle, shift, and steering cables are water resistance and won't be bothered by the water. Electrical wires will also not be bothered if there are no exposed connections. Those wires are usually run in the split tubing and secured to the bottom of the deck with suitable clamps.

Nightfisher-

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I used small squirts of expanding foam very carefully to seal around a few wire holes. Also I ran my nav lights and docking light wires through a piece of 1" conduit ran through the wiring holes that were pre cut into the cross members under my deck. I did this for two reasons, to prevent chaffing because the wiring grommets are missing from the wiring holes, and also because I fish quite a bit at night and sometimes can have branches wash under the bow while anchored. The pipe will prevent any branches from snagging on the wires and damaging them. If you do run through conduit, be mindful that getting future wires through will be very difficult unless you pull all the current wires out, then re-pull them back through with the new wire al at once.
DSCN2832.JPG

boat_beginner

Seaman

Thanks guys, I figured there was a boot that would take care of the hole. I appreciate the tips for the wiring. Now it's time to search for a boot to fit my hole problem.

Jeep Man

Commander

Mine has expanding foam from the factory.