Before Shark Hide...

Cycleman07

Seaman
Quick question...My boat is brand new, only time it has been in the water was for the sea trial upon delivery. However it does have a few water spots on it from rain etc., and the shark hide i ordered will be on the door step this week.

What should I use to wipe off the rain caused water spots? Wet towel? Any type of cleaner? I just dont want to trap in those few water spots with shark hide. Thanks

WaterDR

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Before Shark Hide...

Vinegar and then rinse with clean water.

BTW, this is a great product, but NOT for use if you plan to leave the boat in the water.

Cycleman07

Seaman

Vinegar and then rinse with clean water.

BTW, this is a great product, but NOT for use if you plan to leave the boat in the water.

Awesome WaterDR thanks. Do i just put the vinegar in a spray bottle or wipe it on? We do not leave ours in the water.

Capt Sully

Petty Officer 1st Class

Cycleman, keep us posted on how it goes with your Shark Hide. I'm thinking of doing the same. Than again do I want a Shinny toon or one that looks it's been used a lot??? I've read that applying this stuff is a PITA. But I don't know, Wow it sure is expensive, hope it last a few years ???

Cycleman07

Seaman

Cycleman, keep us posted on how it goes with your Shark Hide. I'm thinking of doing the same. Than again do I want a Shinny toon or one that looks it's been used a lot??? I've read that applying this stuff is a PITA. But I don't know, Wow it sure is expensive, hope it last a few years ???

I sure will keep you posted. From what I read you simply put it on a soft cloth (wearing rubber gloves of course) and wipe it in a side to side pattern overlapping by an inch each time and in 4 foot sections, wait 2 days and put a second coat on. The shark hide rep said it should last 3 years with taking it out of the water after use and rinsing with clean water.

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral

Thats on my list of things to do eventually. My boat is used and the toons are gray so they need a polishing and I may get around to it eventually.

WaterDR

As to your "stains", I am suggesting vinegar since its a weak acid and will remove hardness deposits. In the event that what you have is iron-oxide that is already formed, it may not take that off and you may need a stronger acid. However, you may end up with a "clean" spot which could be just as notceable as a dirty one.

if you want, post a pic of the "stain" and I can suggest some options.

In general, acids remove mineral deposits and caustics remove oils and organics. Depending on what you have and how much, will determine how strong or weak will do the trick.

You can start out by diluting the vinegar to see if it works and go from there.

As to shark-hide, I am not "sold on the stuff. Here is why?

1 - It is useless if you leave your boat in the water.

2 - It will rub off or wear off from beaching and perhaps even on and off the trailer.

3 - It seems like it would be difficult to get and even coating.

Keep in mind that ANY coating that is designed to go on ANY metal, that once it starts to rub off in a spot, you will get a very noticeable stain in that location.

However, even with all that said, if I were gonnal dry-slip my pontoon, I would consider trying the stuff.

Bamaman1

Lieutenant Commander

My new pontoon started tarnishing the minute it was made, and I have polished it with a Porter Cable Dual Action polisher and a wool bonnet. I used White Diamond metal polish bought at Advance Auto Parts. (Mothers aluminum polish sucked.)

My boat is not a mirror image, but I didn't intend it to be. It's plenty shiny, however. A mirror image would be impossible to maintain.

After carefully cleaning my hull with lacquer cleaner a couple of times, I put the Sharkhide to it. I immediately had black streaks in the Sharkhide coming from the cracks and welds. I cleaned and cleaned, only to have more smudges.

With the correct polish and electric polisher, I can polish the outsides of each toon in maybe 20 minutes each. Getting the black oxide off the polished toons and putting Sharkhide on the toons is just more physical work than I want to do. I'm just going to polish them in the future.

Old Screwball

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ditto the white vinegar! I keep a spray bottle with a mixture of 1/3 Windex, 1/3 white vinegar, and 1/3 water. My boat and Seadoos are on the Colorado River most of their lives. The water is very alkali, and the vinegar is the ph equivalent. It naturalizes the alkali in the water and removes the spots. Learned this years ago from a boat dealer. Spray it on, let it sit a minute and wipe it off with a damp cloth. Oh, and your boat will smell like a salad bar.

Cycleman07

Seaman

Dish soap and water did the trick...
I will apply the shark hide today and let you know my thoughts. This boat will be pulled out after every use and hosed down with fresh clean water. Ill post some pics of the results.

WaterDR

Dish soap and water did the trick...
I will apply the shark hide today and let you know my thoughts. This boat will be pulled out after every use and hosed down with fresh clean water. Ill post some pics of the results.

Must have just been grime then.

WaterDR

Believe it or not, the "staining" is a very healthy thing for the metal. It's how aluminum protects itself from further corrosion.

Cycleman07

Seaman

Ok, so I applied the first coat of Sharkhide last night and generally speaking it was not too bad. I went ahead and did the inside of the tubes as well as the transom. The insides of the tubes was a PITA but I am OCD and had to do them. The outsides of the tubes was a breeze. To just apply the Sharkhide took just over an hour. I will add a second coat to them Friday as it says to wait 24-72 hours to apply the second coat. Here is a pic of the results. It actually polished out some remaining hard water spots which was a bonus.

Sharkhide.jpg

WaterDR

BTW, that is a really nice toon. This thing is setup nicely and I really like the E package.

Capt Sully

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ok looks good. Happy it worked for you. How much did you use, a whole can or more ??

Cycleman07

Seaman

Thanks! We fell in love with it too.

I used just shy of 1 quart for the first coat. I bought 2. I figure 130 bucks every 3 years is worth it.

Cycleman07

Seaman

Ok, put the final coat on today and opened up the Biminis to get the wrinkles out before her maiden voyage tomorrow.
Also took a pic of underneath. Sharkhided that too.

Underneath.jpgBimini1.jpgBimini2.jpg

Traillblazer

Recruit

Where did you find the bimini for the front? I have a SB 525 and am looking for a second bimini