Trolling motor question on pontoon

So I am new to pontoon boats and i bought a trolling motor and quick mount. My question/concern is with only 4 bolts from the mount going through the deck should I be concerned about the bolts ripping out of the deck? should I put like 2" pieces of aluminum between the bottom side of deck and the small washer to help spread the load or am i being concerned for no reason? To demonstate my concern take a broom handle and hold it in your hand at the top and then with your other hand push the bottom away from you. now imagine your top hand is the bow mount and your bottom hand is the motor and imagine the force that a trolling motor would exert on that bow mount.

Sorry for the long explanation but I just wanted to explain what was going through my mind

Cycleman07

Seaman
Re: Trolling motor question on pontoon

So I am new to pontoon boats and i bought a trolling motor and quick mount. My question/concern is with only 4 bolts from the mount going through the deck should I be concerned about the bolts ripping out of the deck? should I put like 2" pieces of aluminum between the bottom side of deck and the small washer to help spread the load or am i being concerned for no reason? To demonstate my concern take a broom handle and hold it in your hand at the top and then with your other hand push the bottom away from you. now imagine your top hand is the bow mount and your bottom hand is the motor and imagine the force that a trolling motor would exert on that bow mount.

Sorry for the long explanation but I just wanted to explain what was going through my mind

On my previous pontoon I had a 75 lb thrust Minn Kota with quick mount and had no issues whatsoever. Assuming of course that your deck is in good shape and not rotted then you are good to go!

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

You are concerned for no reason. But if you intend to remain concerned for no reason, head to your local hardware store and buy four large fender washers which will spread the load even more.

5150abf

Vice Admiral

I have mine on with some really knarly lag screws, I have knocked it lose and pulled a few screws out running aground but never actually tore it off so I don't think that is actually possible, as Silvertip said if it bugs you go ahead and throw some fender washers on it.

Thanks guys I think I will use some fender washers just for my own piece of mind.