deck sealer

clownin

Cadet
Pulled up carpet on pontoon and in a few spots it pulled up a top layer what can I fix with and would also like to know what I can reseal wood with just for more pretection before putting on the carpet

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral
Re: deck sealer

If your talking about the top layer of wood then I would suspect its De-lamenting and needs to be replaced and if it is then some one used the wrong type of plywood on it or it is just plain real old. Sounds like it may be time to re-floor.

clownin

Cadet

Its mostly on edges from using a scraper to remove the old carpet glue ....

Cubbyblue22

Petty Officer 1st Class

I looked into something to fill in certain spots and I couldn't find anything out there that is marine grade and waterproof. I think once you start seeing holes and cracks there bound to collect moisture and you'll be replacing it sooner than you'd like.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

If your basically just hoping to seal up the edges then something like Git Rot may be the ticket.

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

Its mostly on edges from using a scraper to remove the old carpet glue ....

Do you have all of the carpet removed and old glue off? The best way to remove old carpet glue is to sand it off with a belt sander and a 30 grit belt.

Use epoxy resin to seal your decking, you can get some SM Fairing compound to mix with the resin to fill in the chips and cracks.

I used epoxy resin and SM fairing compound on my old decking after sanding the old glue off and it worked out very well:

Before sanding:
DSC02209.jpg

After sanding, sealing, and fairing:
DSC02217.jpg

4 coats of epoxy resin is like a sheet of glass between your decking and carpet.