What type of cleaner to get vinyl pontoon seats clean?

cin3000

Cadet
I have a pretty old pontoon, a 1989 Grumann that I purchased last year and now this year I'm going to have more time to really clean it up. The seast that are in it are very dungy and it looks like mildew or stains on the tops of the seat backs. They are grey and black spots and I really don't know what they are. I tried using regular dish soap but it didn't take it off. Is there any other cleaner that I could try? Any help is appreciated.

MinUph

Chief Petty Officer
Re: What type of cleaner to get vinyl pontoon seats clean?

You can try marine formula 9 available at marine stores. Mold is a tuff thing to get rid of in Vinyl it permeates into the backing.

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral

I just bought some stuff called mold armor from home depot it says it will kill it out for 3 mouths, and no scrubbing, I tried it on a few spots and it seams to work.

cin3000

Cadet

I have a pretty old pontoon, a 1989 Grumann that I purchased last year and now this year I'm going to have more time to really clean it up. The seats that are in it are very dungy and it looks like mildew or stains on the tops of the seat backs. They are grey and black spots and I really don't know what they are. I tried using regular dish soap but it didn't take it off. Is there any other cleaner that I could try? Any help is appreciated.

Is what I'm seeing on the tops of the seats mold or could it be oxidation? This is my first marine purchase and I have no clue about things like this.

MinUph

Chief Petty Officer

It sound like mold. The grey and black is mold. Try what MH mentioned maybe it will help.

cin3000

Cadet

I just bought some stuff called mold armor from home depot it says it will kill it out for 3 mouths, and no scrubbing, I tried it on a few spots and it seams to work.

Once I get rid of the mold stains do I need to apply anything on the seats in order to keep them supple and shiny?

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral

I use a protector made by 3M called 303, it works very well and is the recommended one to use by most here, That I get through NAPA auto parts.

The 303 works real well, I started using it last year and so far I am happy with it

coastalrichard

Lieutenant

I recently cleaned my vinyl with Starbrite Mildew Remover followed by Meguiar Premium Vinyl and Rubber Protectant. Depending on your mildew conditions, you may have to use more than one application of Starbrite. I am pleased with the results.

dls322

Petty Officer 1st Class

You can use some Simple Green or other kind of cleaner. I recommend using a green scrubby pad (like you scrub pans and dishes with) to clean with instead of paper towels. It will get the mold off quickly and then use the paper towels to clean up. Good luck

cin3000

Cadet

You can use some Simple Green or other kind of cleaner. I recommend using a green scrubby pad (like you scrub pans and dishes with) to clean with instead of paper towels. It will get the mold off quickly and then use the paper towels to clean up. Good luck

Thank you everyone for all of your suggestions but after further consideration, I'm going to replace all of the seats. I contacted a local marine upholsterer and he said that just the seats (not the backs) would cost well over $1000 to replace the vinyl. I found a marine bench supplier who can sell me brand new seats with plastic bases for just $1750. I think that would be the better way to go. Thanks again for your suggestions though!

junkman41

Petty Officer 1st Class

If I were in your position, I would try and clean the seats for a few dollars, before I went out and bought new seats for $1750 , a good cleaning does wonders, then if that didnt workout I would concider new ones. but I'm not in your position.... goodluck

Jack

cin3000

Cadet

If I were in your position, I would try and clean the seats for a few dollars, before I went out and bought new seats for $1750 , a good cleaning does wonders, then if that didnt workout I would concider new ones. but I'm not in your position.... goodluck

Jack

I guess I should have been more descriptive in my original post. I planned on replacing the vinyl on all of the seats but not the seat's backs. The seats (the part you sit on) are all in very bad condition. The seams are all ripped and the foam is exposed. The seat backs are in ok condition other than the mold and a just a few seams are coming apart. I had an estimate done on replacing the vinyl on the seats and it came to over $1000. I can buy all new seats (base, backs and seats) for just over $1700. I think that is the best option for me. The seats that are currently on there now have wood bases and the new ones will be plastic which will be better.

BiXLL

Petty Officer 1st Class

I found a mixture of amonia and peroxide with a small scrub brush did an excellant job on my mold problem. Degreaser (purple power) would not touch it, but the mixture did a great job.