Pontoon travel speed?

stephen25

Seaman
Just got my first pontoon last summer and loved it, it is a 20' bass buggy with a 60 hp Merc OB. The problem is i only get about 7- 9 MPH max is that correct?? it just seems way to slow to me, can someone tell me what a pontoon this size and set up should run.
Thanks

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral
Re: Pontoon travel speed?

You should be in the 15 to 20 mph range by GPS. How ever their many limiting factors such as load and pontoon OD size and WOT rpm`s and prop pitch and a few other things. To start off what is your WOT rpm`s

stephen25

Seaman

well i have been having some issues with my motor it will not get past 2800 RPM with out bogging down but that's another post, my concern is it doesn't seem like the motor should be much above 3500 RPM due to it sounding high in RPM'S maybe my tach is off, or i have the wrong pitch prop, still new to boats sorry but how do you tell what pitch?

Jeep Man

Commander

well i have been having some issues with my motor it will not get past 2800 RPM with out bogging down but that's another post, my concern is it doesn't seem like the motor should be much above 3500 RPM due to it sounding high in RPM'S maybe my tach is off, or i have the wrong pitch prop, still new to boats sorry but how do you tell what pitch?
Without a doubt, start with the tach. Ensure it is reading accurately, as proper RPMs is paramount. You did not say if the motor is a 2 or 4 stroke and what year it was. Personally I have a 20' with a 60hp 4 stroke Bigfoot with a 14x11 prop. WOT RPMs is 5800 with a speed of 17-19 mph. This is about the average.

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral

Ok well it may be well right on RPM`s if it is way over propped. A prop is matched to the load and the motors max PRM.more info on youir motor is needed to find what it should be turning but a very general RPM range is around 5000 to 6000, it may well be more or less. The bogging down your describing could be a motor problem or it may be way to much prop pitch and that's all it can do. Common pitch numbers 9,11,13,15 for a pontoon, my guess on a 60 on a 20 for pontoon is a 11 or a 13. Take a look at your prop and take pictures of any markings, and you may have to take it off, some times its molded in a blade or on the hub its self. Lets start with that.

I will explain a bit more about props. A prop is what limits your RPM and keeps your motor from over revving.
To much pitch and it wont make it up to the WOT rpm speed and wont make its rated HP. To low of a pitch and the motor over revs and will blow up.

So matching a prop to the load its pushing is very important. So finding out what prop you have will give a indication. And also the exact motor , type 2 or 4 stroke, and year will also help. that will give you the RPM, it should be marked on the motor its self.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Your engine does not have a 3500 rpm limit -- it should be able to spin 5500 - 6000 rpm. If the prop you have is in the 14x9, 14 x 10 or even a 14 x 11 it should rev higher than 3500. You indicate the engine has a problem so fix that before you waste time and energy chasing a nonexistent problem.

Old Screwball

Petty Officer 1st Class

My guess is... SOMETHING IS WRONG!!

IF it were me, I'd take that engine to a certified mechanic, drop a couple hundred and get it tuned and checked out BEFORE I did anything else. I have a 2012 18' party barge with a 75hp 4 stroke Merc. I've experimented with 17, 15, and 13 pitch props (from other boats) With the 13 I hit 5600 rpm WOT (I typo'd on the other thread) and 24mph (gps) speed with me, wife, kids and grand kids.

Good Luck, and happy 'tooning

5150abf

Vice Admiral

Agree, performance starts with a good running engine, discussing anything else is a waste of time at this point, get the engine running correctly then see what the boat will do, no prop in the world will correct a plugged carb or bad coil.

If you are even moderatly mechanical the guys in the Merc forum shoul dbe able to talk you through a trouble shoot on this and get you running right, if you have never turned a wrench get it to a mechanic, a bad runnig engine won't run bad for long before it dies for good.

stephen25

Seaman

well if it helps the motor will not get any fuel unless i manually put some in the carbs, and the bulb stays tight the entire time its running

River_Lizard

Petty Officer 1st Class

Could your bulb be turned around on the fuel line (backwards)? They have check valves in them and they're directional....check the arrows at the end of the bulb. Tight or flat the bulb? If it's full expanded then you have issues at the motor most likely, but if the bulb is flat, the bulb is turned around.