1999 21' Sun Tracker w/40hp outboard

GoFastr

Seaman
Just recently picked up a 1999 Sun Tracker 21' Party Barge pretty cheap, but needs some TLC otherwise pretty decent shape and motor runs good though troubleshooting a starting issue.

On this grey colored outboard which sez "Tracker" on the cowling and by Mercury. There's a sticker on the power head that sex it's a 40hp Force too. At the bottom of the shaft just above the cavitation plates on the trailiing edge, there's a sticker/lable that indicates 13 x 26 and 2.00:1. I'm thinking the 2.00:1 indicates the gear ratio of the motor? Does the other indicate the prop size as in 13" diameter x 26" pitch?

I would like to maximize the prop bite for this small motor on the boat. The prop that came with it is in pretty gnarley shape and I want to replace it, but can't find any part numbers or size info on it.

Also, what is the proper wide open throttle RPM range for this motor?

If the numbers above aren't what i think they are, then any info on this motor and/or boat would be greatly appreciated.

GoFastr

Seaman
Re: 1999 21' Sun Tracker w/40hp outboard

I put this same post in the Prop questions section so I'm gonna change this one up a bit.

Besides figuring out the proper prop setup for this, I have another issue I'm working on. Right now it has an intermittent starting issue meaning when turning the key I get clicks. Eventually it suddenly fires quick and runs great when it does.

I have traced all cables/wires and made sure all contacts/connections were clean and solid. I repllaced the battery with a new one. I checked all connection at the motor on the starter and solenoid. The previous owner repllaced the starter last year and it looks it. So I'm now thinking it must be either the starter solenoid or the ignition switch itself. Any thoughts?

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral

More that likely its the solenoid, if it isn't clicking the solenoid isn't getting power from the key switch and being as its clicking it rules out the key. The way to test the solenoid is to take off the main power wire at the solenoid and have some one turn the key, this will close the solenoid and see what the ohms are across the main power connection point to the starter power wire, it should be 0 ohms if its any thing else replace it. I would guess right now its not showing any ohms or a very high reading. The small wires are power to the closing field from the key switch and the large wires are main power. You can test the key switch by checking for voltage when the key is turned at the small wires on the solenoid.

I really doubt your prop is a 26 pitch, it may show that on the sticker. Pontoon props are mostly a 15,13,11 or a 9.

You can take the motor sieral number and find the exact rpm range but most merc 2 strokes are in the 5000 to 6000 range, and yes you need to find the exact one for that motor. Dont guess know.

You should be getting around 16 to 20 mph depending on how its loaded.

rogerwa

Commander

If you have a 99 Force, here are your specs:
Motor Year: 1999
Motor HP: 40.0
Motor Type: 2 stroke Outboard
# of Cylinders: 2
Recommended RPM: 4750 - 5250
# of Splines: 13
Gear Ratio:
First: 2.00

You should look at your prop hub to see what pitch it is. It may just have a 13P or some number with a P following it denoting the pitch.

oldjeep

Admiral

You should be getting around 16 to 20 mph depending on how its loaded.

You think it'll go that fast? My dads 21ft suntracker fishin barge tops out around 14mph with a 50HP merc

GoFastr

Seaman

rogerwa thanks for the motor specs. You'd think with a million of these things out there I'd find answers all over the net.

Since the prop is kinda ate up the only numbers I can find on the prop hub is on the nut end and it only shows an A on one side and the number 3 on the other side of the spline hole. The other end the numbers are worn away, but the diameter measures out to 10 1/2". Also I dioscovered the 13x26 number was another way of saying 2.00:1 gear ratio. It's sounding more and more like the stock prop for this boat/motor combo is gonna be a 10.5 x 9. So in order to get say a better tube setup or stronger tow should i go bigger diameter? Don't think there's a lesser pitch is there? On the flip side if i wanna go out with 5-6 adults and still move along a tad faster than a snail should go higher pitch? Not familiar with how pontoons react as compared to a planing boat.

Also, is there a site for looking up parts like the ignition or other Sun Tracker specific replacement parts?

In a little bit I'm gonna try a jumper wire to the solenoid to see if it kicks the starter in. I sorta felt since there was clicking from the starter/solenoid area that the ignition switch was probably okay, but I'll replace it while I'm dorking around cleaning the thing up, but I'm having a heck of a a replacement switch without first taking the old one out and finding the part #.

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral

You think it'll go that fast? My dads 21ft suntracker fishin barge tops out around 14mph with a 50HP merc

Thier so many variables it really is hard to say, My boat when it had a ns40c 40 Nissan on it would run 17 mph on gps with a 11 P
but it depends on tube size, load, how deep the motor is set in the water 2 vs 4 stroke and so on.

One of the real odd things or so I have been told is I am presently running a 9.9 2 stroke at 5400 rpm and I get 12 mph out of it. The guys at the local marine shop tell me I cant possible be going that fast and thier is no way I am getting 5400 rpm. But gps doesn't lie and I have tried 3 different types of tech.

GoFastr

Seaman

Well today I replaced the solenoid and "fixed" the starting issue. Now when I hit the key it starts so fast it's surprising. I also cleaned up the prop, which has one chipped blade, and at wide open throttle saw 9mph on my iPhone GPS speedo at 46/4700 rpm. I'm thinkin that's about 500 below where it should be. Best guessestimate is the prop is a 10.5" x 9p aluminum prop. Previous owner sez it's the stock factory. I'm thinkin either the diameter or pitch needs to change to reach what I think should be at or near the 5250 rpm for this setup to get 12-15mph with okay punch out of the hole for say pulling a small kid on the tube

I'd love to hear from someone who has this same boat/motor setup and what prop they have or use and any other experimental prop results they have discovered. Granted, 40hp on this 21' flat deck is not expected to see spectacular results, but it doesn't mean I should not be trying to maximize what it can and should do.

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral

I am far from a expert on pontoons and props, but I would really expect the speed to be a lot closer to 15.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

2.00:1 is the lower unit gear ratio. 13:26 is also the lower unit gear ratio. 26 divided by 13 = 2.00. Your motor would not be able to spin a 26P prop regardless of diameter.

rogerwa

Commander

You have some something hinky going on. With your numbers assuming a 9p prop, you have 50% slippage.

My slippage on my rig is 25%, which to me is a little high. If you were at 25%,you'd be running 15 mph.

Treker57

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have 2000 21' Suntracker PB with a same year Merc 50hp orginal prop and the numbers were stamped on the inside of the prop, had to be removed to see, 12X9. You need to check your motor out, with full fuel, some extra gear(150lbs?) myself and oldest daughter, calm lake the toon has done 19/20mph via GPS

GoFastr

Seaman

I hear ya. The prop is a little degraded and the numbers or what looked like numbers, on the back side of the hub are pretty much gone. On the front side or hub nut end. there is only a number 3 and the letter A stamped on opposite sides of the shaft hole. One of the three blades has small bit of the tip chipped off, and there's some on/off again vibration while trolling along in a no wake zone. I "think" I measured 10.5" diameter. I believe several suggestions of 9 pitch. What I want to do is go buy a new prop that is the exact size of what is or should be on there off the showroom, then once i have the baseline prop i can then begin to experiment with diameter or pitch to zero in on a second prop whether it be for tubing the rugrats, or hauling an extra body or two on a sunset ride.

Another question I have is the wiring like for the speakers up front. They appear to run down from the helm thru the floor, underneath and back up again to the left/right front speakers. I haven't had it out of the water yet until I rig my lift for the toons and meant to snorkel around it but haven't yet. Do the wires in fact run underneath and if so are they exposed or they run thru some sort of tubing. Reason I ask is I installed a new stereo and the front two (only two actually) speakers do not work. So I'm thinking there's a short or break in between.

Treker57

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The wires for my front speakers do run as you mentioned, through the floor where the engine control cables go through and then back up at each bench. I'd run a wire from the radio to the speakers that you'll know if it is the wires or the speakers themselves

GoFastr

Seaman

Yeah definitely the wires. I hooked up a speaker using a jumper wire and it worked great, so both front speaker wires are compromised underneath. Soooo, gotta put a game plan together to pull the old and route new ones. One thing after another.

tumblebug1949

Petty Officer 3rd Class

You have probably already decided on what you want for your new prop but just in case I thought I would answer. I just bought a 1999, 21 ft Sun Tracker fishin' Barge. It has the original 40 hp, 2 cylinder, Force motor on it. I pulled the three bladed prop yesterday to check and grease the spline. While the aluminum prop was off, I wrote down what was stamped into it.

It said "MICHIGAN" and the number "031016". I hope this got to you in time to help.

Tom