Anyone ever put a sail on a pontoon just for kicks?

ronboonville

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have a 24ft Nissan pontoon. I use it on a lake that gets pretty windy. I have drifted and bottom bounced for catfish and ocassionly caught some, once while kinda napping. I have thought about making a small sail and use one of the front seat posts to mount it. Maybe some pvc and a small tarp. triangular. I would steer using the motor. Just one direction not really sailing. Any comments or experience would be good. no non believers or non dreamers need to reply, cause I'll try it anyway. thanks, ron

seanmnew

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Anyone ever put a sail on a pontoon just for kicks?

Im sure you could get one to work, though I would think one of the issues would be the amount of drag from the toons vs a plaining hull. If you set your mind to it, you can pretty much accomplish anything.

I think one issue would be that PVC may bend too much with the force of the wind and getting enough of it to move the toons

Regarding turning with the motor… depending on if you have an inboard, outboard, or in/out board, you may have issues, doesn't really create a whole lot of steering without power going to it.

Just my $0.02

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral

Well I sort of have one, but its the bimni top,I am on a 9.9 lake and sometimes if I get a tail wind just right I pick up to 3 mph

:facepalm:

ronboonville

Petty Officer 1st Class

well if it bends some that's ok. thinking 10 ft mast with 6ft or so tall sail and around 5 or 6ft across bottom. using 2" pvc and a 1 x 4 for the bottom across piece, maybe they call that a jib. 1 bolt to hold board and pipe together. My bimini works pretty good but I want to face forward. I could also make a rudder with an old oar lock I have. It maybe that I have too much time on my hands with being retired and just need more projects. If it bends alot I will just get some more rope and tie to the top of the mast and tie it back to one of the rails. bungees, rope, spring clamps, duct tape, electrical tape, electric drill, cheap tarp, yeah, better than getting a job!

seanmnew

Seaman Apprentice

simple idea that would be quick to "erect" and quick to remove. make 2 mounting brackets on both sides of the front. attach a tarp or something similar that would be slightly tight (with some give) when fully stretched to 2 PVC pipes. you could mount the 2 PVC pipes side by side with the tarp between them, then roll them up together when not using them… idk, lol

Jlawsen

Master Chief Petty Officer

I thought I saw a toon with a sail but as I got closer it looked more like a whale and then when I was within a mile I realized it was the skippers wife.

BobGinCO

Chief Petty Officer

Don't they call those CATAMARANS?

Dragboatdad

Cadet

Mine came with a sail. It will actually heel over in a stiff breeze. Not fun to put on trailer when it's windy!

WaterDR

Senior Chief Petty Officer

You would most certainly need a keel to get this to work. Pontoons are already like sails and slide across the water under a side wind.

rdryer

Cadet

I have experience adapting a catamaran sail to a '57 Texas Maid ski runabaout as a removable sail kit. That gives me a couple of points to advise on. 1. If you only want a small drifting sail it requires much less thought, but PVC will not work. Even a bed sheet can be subject to gust fronts or a wayward "dust"devil. 2. A pontoon with sails is in essence an inefficient cat. The energy from a strong wind is transferred down the mast to the deck so a chair mount will not be a good sail mount, you must transfer the energy across a wide area. The aluminum joists are not goot support members for that kind of energy. You will have to shore it up up under the floor, perhaps with another sheet of marine ply on the bottom of the joists, bolted. 3. You should use only the best hardware, marine or aircraft grade cables to triangulate the mast. You can't afford to injure a passenger. 4. You will need a boom which is likely to add hazard to you and your riders (so forget about your bimini or lid. Without a boom your sail will not have the wingform that makes the sail useful. 5. Dagger boards, one per side, will serve well instead of a keel. They must be more than a piece of aluminum sheet because they will flex with lateral forces. They should be positioned behind the mast which, itself is mounted roughly 1/3 of the way from the front of the deck. 6. The motor will be inadequate surface area to direct the craft which will be too slow to respond. A trolling motor would be better, used like a stern thruster. I hope these few thoughts are helpful. By the way, you will seldom feel like going to the effort to set this up, so you are back to a sheet in the breeze.

emoney

Commander

Looks like rdryer beat me to it, but I'll add my 2 cents anyway. Coming from the sailing perspective, I can safely say that you'll be quite surprised at the force that even a small "sail" pulls. I'd think hollow PVC would more than likely snap at the first stiff breeze. Now, if you filled it with concrete maybe, lol.

You know, this time of year you can start to find small sailboats pretty cheap and they make a lot better fishing boats than people think. Oh, they're never going to win any bass tournaments, but I've caught plenty of fish off them before. Why not keep an eye peeled on your local craigslist and pick up a sub $500.00 sailboat as a "2nd boat". Heck, we could all use one more boat anyway, and the odds are you'll have close to that trying to rig your pontoon boat to do the same thing.

gregdog

Recruit

Don't know if this thread is still alive.
I don't think anyone posted an actual experience rigging a sail on a pontoon boat

I did and it worked well in a light wind. google: pontoon sailer homosassa youtube and you should see our recent outing.

The way to go is with a square rigged sail, this way it is the four lines attached to the sail corners not the mast that takes the brunt of energy.

Gregdog

ronboonville

Petty Officer 1st Class

Gregdog, saw the video. That's what I'm talkin bout! I know the motor will work as rudder because it does when I shut off the motor and am still in motion. 4 ropes, small tarp, some pvc, shower curtain hooks, bandana, eye patch, ahoy!

jjohnson120

Petty Officer 1st Class

For those that are interested.

gregdog

Recruit

For those that are interested. . . .

The African Queen is a pure aluminum home made pontoon boat that an Aluminum contractor/welder built for himself back in the 1980's for gator hunting in the Everglades. She draws about 12 inches, engine up.

It passed from hand to hand after the fellow died and I found it on the side of the road headed for the scrap yard for recycling, contacted the owner and gave him $800 for the title. Ugly as she was she was completely competent physically as she had no wood, plastic, fiberglass or other ready to degrade material Just Aluminum and stainless steel fasteners. I spent another $8,000.00 for a new 40hp Mercury 4-stroke and helm, which pushes her almost to 20mph. Nice for plying the shallow bootlegger waters of Homosassa Bay on the "Nature Coast" of Florida's west central gulf coast. Here the gulf waters deepens only 1' for every mile you go out.

The short story on sail rigging is that I bought a 16' of 1 1/2" poplar wood dowel, sleeved it with PVC pipe, topped it with a pulley and used that for a mast - center mounted on the very front edge of the bow. I then constructed a square sail rig with a 10 foot yardarm of same wood and attached an 8 x 10 foot white tarp as sail using zipties and stainless rings (like shower curtain rings). We hoisted this up the mast (yardarm fore of the mast) and with four lines attached to the four corners of the sail engaged what was only a weak 3 mph east wind to go due west. We had a 2mph incoming tide directly against us yet still we made headway; my gps said we were doing almost 1 mph. My brother and I were simply amazed at the efficiency factor - and for a total cost of materials purchased at home depot of about $80.

We then tested it to see how far we could sail cross the wind. We gave slack to the starboard lines and tightened the port lines causing the sail to move out and billow to port (it was almost like a kite) catching the east wind. it continued to make headway, this time due north, without any noticeable side ways slippage. I was stunned. No dagger or center boards used. just the aluminum angle metal keels that the builder had originally welded on the bottom of each pontoon to guard against stumps, rocks and reefs. I used the outboard as the rudder. We are now thinking of putting two more masts, one opposite each other on the sides of the Queen just fore of the helm and rigging jib sails 8' jib sails with 6' booms to catch the wind outside of the fore mainsail.

Since we mainly have westerly onshore winds here, coming back in after boating 5-7 miles offshore, under sail power, should be a breeze.