• If this is your first visit to the iboats.com Boating Forums, be sure to check out the FAQ. To post a question or comment, begin by signing up. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Transducer mount on Pontoon

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transducer mount on Pontoon

I am getting ready to install a fish finder and need suggestions on mounting the transducer. I am going to mount it an the bracket that is already in place on the back of one of the pontoons. My problem is that I keep the boat in the water and can not drill the holes into the bracket underwater. I was thinking of mounting it with some marine grade 5200 or 4800 epoxy. Is it possible to do this underwater? Any recommendations? Thanks.

Re: Transducer mount on Pontoon

If you have forearms like Popeye maybe you can do it with self tapping screws. Otherwise I think it needs to be trailered or lifted from the water. 5200 takes a week to cure. 4800 is 24 hours I believe. Either way, except Popeye, it needs to come out of the water.

Comment

Guess it depends on how badly you want to do it. I've still got an old hand crank drill sitting around in the shop - they work under water.
      2012 Malibu VTX 5.7 Monsoon 350
      2009 Ram CC 5.7 Hemi

www.oldjeep.com

Comment

Is there a reason you can't pull the boat to do the work? No trailer? 50' long? Best to do this on dry land so you can mount it correctly and at the right height etc.
        Paul
        Yankee Girl (She's our 18' pontoon)
        Spring Hill Florida

Comment

I have a flexible drill extension.

similar to this http://www.amazon.com/Eazypower-3016.../dp/B0009XAFXU
          1988 Cruisers Rogue 2420 - VP AQ271C / 290DP "Rock'n Along"
          http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=500145
          1970 Wooster Hellion 7' of cool mini boat with a Merc 9.8
          Recent Boats
          2002 SeaRay 190BR - MC 5.0 / Alpha I series II "Cheasheads in Paradise"
          1984 Avanti 170DLI - OMC 3.0 / OMC Stringer 400 "Ship Happens"

The problems we face today can not be addressed at the same level of intelligence we were at when we created them - Albert Einstein Or with the same level of $ - Me

Comment

When you mount it, it has to be perfectly straight on all axes. That may be hard to do while in the water.
            ● 2012 Sun Tracker Party Barge 22' DLX | 60HP Mercury BigFoot
            ● 1965 GMC
            ● Favorite boating spot: Lake Berryessa, Napa, CA
            sigpic

Comment

Working...
            X