capacity plate

big ken

Petty Officer 1st Class
just bought a used fisher 180 fish pontoon boat. i dont see a capacty plate on it anywhere. do they have one?

WaterDR

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: capacity plate

Every boat should have one. Should be near the helm.

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral

Depending on the boat and year some dont have them.

RustyShackleford

Petty Officer 3rd Class

How big is that boat? I think the law is 18ft or less doesnt have to have one. Read that in boat safety ed. I don't remember it for sure though since it's not the most useful fact.

smoedog

Petty Officer 1st Class

Email the manufacture with the HIN, they can get you all the info. Than get your own made

WaterDR

How big is that boat? I think the law is 18ft or less doesnt have to have one. Read that in boat safety ed. I don't remember it for sure though since it's not the most useful fact.

The fed law is actuallly 20 feet. PWC's have capacity printed on them as well, but they follow different guidelines. There are also state laws too.

Use this link for a guideline. Should help you out:

http://www.boatingbasicsonline.com/content/general/3_7.php

Old Screwball

Petty Officer 1st Class

My 15' Seadoo Speedster had one. It was a boat not PWC. So did my old 16' Bayliner. The reciently purchased 2012 Sun Tracker 18' Party Barge has one. "9 people, unless drunk, dancing, or naked, then the sky is the limit".... or something like that

The Party Barge was a sticker near the helm. Took it off when I' de-badged' the boat.

WaterDR

"9 people, unless drunk, dancing, or naked, then the sky is the limit".... or something like that

Does it depend on who is naked?

lmuss53

Lieutenant Junior Grade

My 19 foot Forrester, and 30 year old 17 foot Sea Nymph have them. My 1998 19 foot SpectraFish which is probably a very close relative to your 18 foot boat had one.

Without starting a big controversy I would advise you to call the PA Fish and Boat Commission, PA has some unique laws when it comes to pontoon boats and capacity plates.

From the PA code.

http://www.pacode.com/secure/data/058/chapter99/058_0099.pdf

(b) Pontoon boats, canoes, sailboats, kayaks, inflatables, hydroplanes, personal
watercraft and boats considered by the Commission to be of unusual or
unique design are exempt from this chapter.

Jlawsen

Master Chief Petty Officer

Theres always been a lot of confusion about these stickers/placards. These are Manufacturers Compliance Placards that the Manufacurer is required to place in a conspicuos place. In the U.S. it is a USCG manufacturers compliance standard. It is only valid as a standard up to the point of sale because the Manufacturer cannot control end user modifications be it dealer or otherwise.

It's a good idea to have it if you know that the vessel has not undergone extensive modifications but if it has you might as well throw it away. You, as the owner are not required to have it unless the boat is over 20' and has a charter license (even a 6 pack license invokes the requirement). At that point your talking annual or seasonal inspections and such.

P.S. If you get boarded and cited for overloading your boat the USCG doesn't care what the placard says. They didn't cite you because they suspected your were overloaded they knew that before they even came aboard. Once you get to know the boat you should be able to tell when it's overloaded and not safe to operate. That's the USCG logic too.

Sorry, got a little off track.

Old Screwball

Petty Officer 1st Class

"9 people, unless drunk, dancing, or naked, then the sky is the limit".... or something like that

Does it depend on who is naked?

Funny you should mention that. Seems when I'm the naked one, everyone else is gone......