Fish Finder Installation on Pontoon

jfreeman0674

Cadet
I am trying to install a fish finder on to my 2011 Sun Tracker Party Barge. Can anyone post any pics of how they hooked theirs up electrically? I am going to mount the transducer on the bracket at the back of one of the pontoons. I will probably put the fish finder where one of the cup holders are on the dashboard and run the cables through it. Did you just tie into the fuse box and if so, how? pic?

5150abf

Vice Admiral
Re: Fish Finder Installation on Pontoon

Thos enormally have and inline fuse of there won and they draw a very small amount of power so you can really hook it into anything on the fuse box, just make sure it isn't on a key activated item.

Everyone I have seen is just 2 wires, + and-, can't get easier than that.

jfreeman0674

Cadet

I was hoping to install this without taking the boat out of the water but I don't think I will be able to mount the transducer unless I us marine grade adhesive. My batteries are mounted in the back of the boat so I have to run the cables to there. Unfortunately the Elite-4x did not come with an inline fuse so I will have to pick one up. I may just wait until I get a trolling motor and pull the boat out and install it all at once.

RustyShackleford

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I was hoping to install this without taking the boat out of the water but I don't think I will be able to mount the transducer unless I us marine grade adhesive. My batteries are mounted in the back of the boat so I have to run the cables to there. Unfortunately the Elite-4x did not come with an inline fuse so I will have to pick one up. I may just wait until I get a trolling motor and pull the boat out and install it all at once.

You dont happen to live near me, do you? I just did mine last week. I chose to mount mine on the front corner of the console in front of the windshield. I love it there. I wired mine to an accessory switch on the dash that came with the boat.

jfreeman0674

Cadet

It looks like the accessory switch has some extra connections on it already so I may attach to that. I don't know if I want to run the fish finder off the main battery, although, I don't think it pulls much power anyway. Right now my biggest problem is having to take it out of the water to mount the transducer.

RustyShackleford

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Your fish finder should say the wattage. I think mine is like 60 watts. The power is all in the transducer. Mine has a low voltage alarm so the finder will alert me if the battery gets low. I imagine it's a pretty common feature.