New to forum with a 2004 27' Sun Tracker Party Barge

epplebee

Recruit
Just wanted to say HI..........I'm new to the forum and kinda new to owning a pontoon. I picked up my pontoon on July 3rd and have already had the pontoon out 3 times.......wish it was more.......

My pontoon has a 3.0 Mercruiser and an Alpha One out drive. I am very impressed with the pontoon so far. On July 4th I had 11 people on board and was still able to pull the kids on a tube:D:D:D

With just myself i can achieve 24mph:eek::eek::eek:

Thank you for reading my post, Have a great day and enjoy the water

Boss Hawg

Lieutenant
Re: New to forum with a 2004 27' Sun Tracker Party Barge

First WELCOME- This is my go to place for anything that floats :cool:
24 sounds good- I have a basic no frills 20' fishing Bass Buggy with a 110 that only gets up to 30----

epplebee

Recruit

I have done some research and found that my engine isnt running up to recommended rpm. just me at wot the engine is only running at 4100prm and should be between 4400-4800rpm. the prop thats on it is a 16" and 16 degree. after going through Mercruiser i see that if i go to a 16" and 14 degree prop i should be running at 4500rpm. i am guessing that will increase my top speed by a few mph.

5150abf

Vice Admiral

You prop an engine for rpm not speed, that is what it is when you get it propped right, going from a 16x16 to a 16x14 is like down shifting in your car, the engine turns faster but you don't really go faster.

You may pick up some speed and it will certainly have a better hole shot with less time to full speed but don't count on extra mph.