Open Bimini Tops-How much do they slow you down?

Outsider

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Open Bimini Tops-How much do they slow you down?

Don't know, mine is rated for only 35, so I stow it before grabbing the last 1000 rpm ... ;)

Boss Hawg

Lieutenant

Never really noticed a difference on mine-

Old Screwball

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hmmmmm, seems it would depend on which way the wind is blowing......:facepalm:

I'm sorry, being an *** to a new guy. I also have not noticed a difference. I can go about 24mph with my 2012 18' Party Barge with a 75hp Merc and a 13.5 X 17 three bladed prop.

Mi duckdown

Commander

Why worry about it? It's boating.

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral

lol It actualy adds a mph or 2 if the wind is the right direction but im only running a 9.9.

Boss Hawg

Lieutenant

lol It actualy adds a mph or 2 if the wind is the right direction but im only running a 9.9.

I guess if you can go fast enough the top should give you a lift & you can fly across the water :p

brotherkicksave

Seaman Apprentice

Hmmmmm, seems it would depend on which way the wind is blowing......:facepalm:

I'm sorry, being an *** to a new guy. I also have not noticed a difference. I can go about 24mph with my 2012 18' Party Barge with a 75hp Merc and a 13.5 X 17 three bladed prop.

You've posted 7 (sorry 6) more than me, I guess I'm the only guy you can call "a new guy". Oh yeah, and I joined this forum 5 months before you. So, really you're being an *** to an "OLD GUY".

brotherkicksave

Seaman Apprentice

Why worry about it? It's boating.

Because my boat is 30 hours old, and continues to loose performance at the top end every time I take it out. If there is a problem, I'd like to get it fixed under warranty.

Boss Hawg

Lieutenant

If thats the case i think i'd take it to the dealer & have it checked out- New pontoons cost WAY to much money to have problems of any kind!

muskiemike12

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Did you break the motor in right?

BobGinCO

Chief Petty Officer

Zero difference. With one or both biminis deployed.

That surprised me!

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral

mmmmm it would depend on how much its losing, it may be simply your adding stuff and the extra load is slowing you down.

emoney

Commander

I don't think it would cause an issue that would be that noticeable. Probably better to follow the "take it into the dealer" advice and have it checked out. When you say "top end" are you saying that you're loosing top end speed or ??

brotherkicksave

Seaman Apprentice

I don't think it would cause an issue that would be that noticeable. Probably better to follow the "take it into the dealer" advice and have it checked out. When you say "top end" are you saying that you're loosing top end speed or ??

Yes, I am unable to see 30 mph anymore. AND the engine that once was revving at over 5000 rpm now sees only 4800.

muskiemike12

Petty Officer 2nd Class

You are slowly killing your motor. You have been lugging it for the last 30 hours. You should be pushing over 5500 rpm's. I hope you did folllow the proper break in procedure. You need to reprop. Drop 2 or 3 inches in pitch.

Did you try raising your motor higher yet? Do that before buying a new prop.

SoArkSi

Cadet

Dont know for sure on the bimimi part but ive noticed some tops are flat topped where mine is leaned back a little bit so mine would cup more air than some. So every ones will probably drag different

IHDiesel73L

Seaman

That answer is heartening to me as a bimini will be a necessity for us. My wife and daughter are the fairest of fair and will be sitting under it the entire time with floppy hats and SPF 80 on :D

Rancherlee

Chief Petty Officer

If the wind is blowing pretty good I can notice a difference. Yesterday I could run 28 with the wind and 25 against it and with running against the wind I could see the fabric of the bimini lifting up pretty good, usually it stays pretty tight to the frame.

brotherkicksave

Seaman Apprentice

The answer is.....open canopies don't slow the boat down at all. I purchased the boat as a factory demo,so it had 10 hours on it already and was, purportedly broken in.

I have decided to raise the engine off of the transom 3 bolt holes, possibly 4.

I will report on my findings.