Pontoon Almost Sunk! Need to find replacement pontoons or donor boat -Can anyone hep?

dls322

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hi Everyone,

I purchased a 92 24' Riviera Cruiser pontoon over the winter and rebuilt everything on it as a surprise present for my mom. Had a blast working on it, I found it much easier than working on a traditional v-hull boat.

Anyway, the toons had black bottom paint on the bottom of them when i got it. The previous owner told me the toons were solid and at the time i really didn't know much about pontoon boats. I should have realized that i was buying a boat that was used in salt water, since i was buying it in MD and the trailer was a roller trailer not a bunk trailer. After digging into it and doing some research i discovered that the salt water is really bad....my fault for not doing research.

Anyway i decided to scrape the paint off the toons and put on some epoxy just in case. I went with "Coat-it" after doing some research. I bought 4 gallons just in case......and after all my hard work 2 gallons didn't cure and i had to re-scrape the half cured epoxy....horrible job. I would warn people using this product that it is very inconsistent from batch to batch. I called the company and they said it was probably past it's expiration date, so i ordered some more from their preferred vendor....and that epoxy was better but still not as good as the first 2 gallons i had purchased.

Well fathers day weekend i launched the boat, tied it up at our docks, went up to the cabin to do chores, come back and i can tell the the rear of the boat was a bit lower on the right side...i thought that maybe since hte fule cell was there that it was normal....do more chores and come back to see the rear of that pontoon basically under water.....panic and pull it out with help of neighbors.....water is pour out of the toons in like 6 spots. Seems to be all coming from the middle V-seem underneath it. So i get 3 14oz Marine-Tex kits and epoxy the entire seem on both sides on both pontoons...then re-coat it all with the remaining Coat-it epoxy.

Has to be sealed now........nope, i hook the truck up to the trailer and pull it up a slight hill and i see 2 small water trips on each pontoon....UGH!

Oh well....I'm now in the market for 2 replacement toons or looking for a donor boat. There is so much epoxy on my toons they really cant be welded and i don't trust them anymore. Can you guys keep your eyes open for some good 24' pontoons or a 24' boat that is shot except for the pontoons. I live in York, PA but the boat is in at Lake Wallenpaupack near Scranton, PA. Will drive pretty far for a good deal. Would prefer a donor boat with a trailer so i can move it and would make life allot easier if it was a Riviera Cruiser brand pontoon boat. Not sure how i would transport 2 loose pontoons but would come up some idea i'm sure!

Help me salvage the rest of the summer and my horrible investment!!

Thank you all!!! :)

Jeep Man

Commander
Re: Pontoon Almost Sunk! Need to find replacement pontoons or donor boat -Can anyone

Great Lakes Skipper has seconds pontoons (scratch and dent), and U Fab in Smiths Falls, Ontario will sell you new ones. Both have web sites. If your picking them up, your standard bunk trailer will work best.

dls322

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Pontoon Almost Sunk! Need to find replacement pontoons or donor boat -Can anyone

Yeah, I had looked into those and it's too far to drive out there from where i am in PA. If anyone knows of a distressed 24' toon that floats i would appreciate any leads

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral

About all I would know to do is keep a eye on Cl or local trade and sell papers.

dls322

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks for the replies. I just picked up an old 24' Kayot with toons in excellent shape. Going to swap over as soon as i get some time and people to help.
CL rules!