Square tubing?

gpfishingdude

Chief Petty Officer
I noticed that there is a section of square tubing on a plate on both sides under the cross members below the decking. Is this just for reinforcing the transom where the motor mounts? I figured it might be because it is bolted to the last 3 or 4 stringers towards the transom but I just thought I would ask and find out if anybody uses these for mounting points for anything? I will try to show pictures of one side. While I'm at it I thought I would show a picture of the cargo hook I installed about a foot back in the decking so I don't have to crawl underneath to attach the winch strap any more and reinforced underneath to the first 3 or 4 stringers. I tipped the winch up higher to get a straight pull with the winch strap. P6280012.jpgP6250010.jpg

5150abf

Vice Admiral
Re: Square tubing?

I can't imagine what the part in the first picture is but it isn't adding any strength and it doesn't look like a factory part so probably added by a previous owner.

Make sure your new pull is mounted in a crossmember, if you just put that through the wood it is going to pull out and possibly with bad concequences, it looks like the forst several crosses are tied together which will help spread the laod.

gpfishingdude

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Square tubing?

P7020014.jpgThanks! 5150abf I was worried that the cargo hook might pull out so I am beefing it up some more. The picture shows the wood built down even with the bottom of the crossmembers and the light weight aluminum that it was tied to. You can see the 1/4" aluminum that I am installing now. It is about 10" wide and long enough to go back three crossmembers behind the cargo hook and one in front. When I wallowed out the hole for the cargo hook I tried to miss the crossmembers. If I did it again I would straddle the cross member. This is costing me close to a hundred dollars now but like they say "not crawling under to hook the strap--PRICELESS"