1996 Forester w/25HP Nissan - Value?

cdness

Cadet
I am looking at trading audio installation services for credit toward the purchase of a pontoon. The pontoon I am looking at is a 1996 Forester with a 25HP Nissan from the same year. I have no idea what to value the pontoon at as this is the first one I have ever looked at. I am looking for something inexpensive that will be better for my 17 month old baby than my Sugar Sand jet boat... Here's more info on it:

- Seats are torn and are going to require a full redo.

- Console is loose, but it can be tightened with a few bolts.

- Carpet, Paint, Alloy and Pontoons are solid.

- Trailer is included, it is the type with the smaller wheels and the pads for the pontoon floats...

- Motor is said to have low hours on it, but there is a sign of oil on the motor which looks like it may have a small leak.

- single gas tank, no battery included...

I know it will be a project, but I am not afraid of some work. Also I can make my own seats so it will be a total DIY rebuild. I just need to know where the value would fall so I can make an informed decision on what to do.

Thanks!

WaterDR

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1996 Forester w/25HP Nissan - Value?

Pictures would help. not sure what others think, but I would suspect around $3k to 4k for the boat. Maybe $1000 for the motor, and perhaps another $1,000 for the trailer. If it were clean and amazingly nice, I would say the total package might be worth 7 to 8K. You did not mention size of pontoon, so I am assuming it is around 20ft.

keep in mind that rock-solid, clean 20 footers that are 1998 to 2002's with 40 to 60 hp motors sell for 8 to 12k. But, condition and lay-out varies a lot and makes a difference too. The small motor and shape of the seats will heold the value back.

I think a trade is a good idea if you can make it work out right. Frankly, if you are trading something worth $5k, but only cost you $2500 for example, this might be a great deal for you.

Again, if we saw some pictures and new more about the boat lay-out and length, we could give you a better idea. but, i suspect that i am not off by too much.

cdness

Cadet

It is an 18 footer.

Here are some images:

DSCF3622.jpg

DSCF3615.jpg

DSCF3623.jpg

DSCF3617.jpg

DSCF3618.jpg

lncoop

Vice Admiral

Pictures would help. not sure what others think, but I would suspect around $3k to 4k for the boat. Maybe $1000 for the motor, and perhaps another $1,000 for the trailer. If it were clean and amazingly nice, I would say the total package might be worth 7 to 8K. You did not mention size of pontoon, so I am assuming it is around 20ft.

keep in mind that rock-solid, clean 20 footers that are 1998 to 2002's with 40 to 60 hp motors sell for 8 to 12k. But, condition and lay-out varies a lot and makes a difference too. The small motor and shape of the seats will heold the value back.

I think a trade is a good idea if you can make it work out right. Frankly, if you are trading something worth $5k, but only cost you $2500 for example, this might be a great deal for you.

Again, if we saw some pictures and new more about the boat lay-out and length, we could give you a better idea. but, i suspect that i am not off by too much.

I wouldn't even take that rig in trade, but if I did, I wouldn't value it anywhere near eight grand. Keep in mind geography is a factor, but around here that rig might fetch two grand. It's a small off brand boat in need of new upholstery and it's underpowered, and Nissan outboards are notorious for having difficult to find parts. Frankly, the most valuable part of that rig is the trailer, and even the trailer's value is limited due to size. Sorry to be such a downer, but IMO if you do decide to take that rig you'll need to value it extremely low and plan on being stuck with it.

WaterDR

Now that I have seen pictures, I would say that thing might be worth about $3000 for the total package which is consistent with my original paragraph above. That is definately a fixer-upper, but nothing wrong with that if that is what you want. It is definately a very basic pontoon. If it were clean, all put together and really nice, it would be worth double that. It is important to understand what needs to go into this boat and know what you might get out of it once it is done, vs. what you could simply buy one in better shape for. The small motor and the brand of the motor will hold the value back somewhat.

WaterDR

All the negatives that Captain laid-out are great negotiating points too to drive teh price down.

newbie4life

Chief Petty Officer

I bought one similar to this one last year, with the exception that our floor was shot too. Traded for a yard shed, I had $400 in materials for the shed, and a couple days (evenings and weekend) in labor. After completely demo-ing the pontoon, and new floor, flooring, and rebuilding (using the old upholstery for a pattern) the seating (and trading some work for the upholstery), new bimini top, and the engine work (cleaning carbs, new fuel lines, water pump, etc.)... I don't know that I have $1500 in it yet. We use it every weekend, and at least twice during the week as well... kids love it... and I'm not in debt up to my eyeballs on it.

If you're not afraid to do a little work, it's a great start -- and a great way to get on the water for very little money. The oil leak on the engine is probably the two-pumper oil line or tank fitting leak. Ours had it, needed a new oil line, replaced all three for less than $2. Not saying for sure this is the case, but that's a good probability.

All-in-all... I would think it would be worth around the $2500 mark... 2 of my friends own Trinity Trailers (make tons of pontoon trailers) here in WI... Understanding the trailer is not new, and will probably need wheel bearings service, tires, etc... but price a new one... you'll spend nearly as much for a trailer alone.

But that's reasoning from a guy that loves to tinker. I just changed my impeller for fun tonight. :)

bjennings79

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Check my Sea Buzzard thread. I paid $2500 for boat, motor, and trailer. It really does have a lot to do with your location. Around here, even trashed out pontoons fetch top dollar. I searched for about a year before I found this one and was able to negotiate from$4500 down to $2500. It was a pretty good deal for this area.

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral

Thats not a bad looking boat. If the deck is solid then ever thing else is a easy fix over time. And yes for most a 25 hp is small it depends on what you want. A 25 should push it around at around 15 mph or so and here where I am at around 2 k would be a decent price as it sits . Nissan is a good motor and I would see if you can get the model, year and serial number and ask the guys in the Nissan motor forum about avable parts. I have owned a Nissan and It is a good motor the only draw bact to them is parts are a dealer item only but their lots of places where you can find parts but some of their motors have discontinued parts.

lncoop

Vice Admiral

I should clarify that I'm not necessarily saying you wouldn't enjoy having that boat. You may be very happy with it. I just don't want you to think it's worth much of anything then be sorely disappointed later. Also, please understand I'm not knocking Nissan outboards. Again, just trying to help you avoid a nasty surprise down the road. If that motor broke you could very easily be forced to repower the boat due to an inability to find repair parts.