New Sylvan 8522 CNF with RPT tubes Cracked welds

Status
Not open for further replies.

tomr50

Seaman Apprentice
well I guess the worst has happend for any new Pontoon owner. I keep the boat moored at a lake in the DFW area. I come out to the harbor and see the boat listing on the port side and the starboard pontoon is also low in the water.

Well my fears were confirmed when I pulled the boat out and BOTH pontoons are leaking. The bottom welds on the cones right where they are connected to the main tubes are cracked. CRACKED! now I'm no expert in welding but my father was a pipeline welder his entire adult and I worked for him for 5 years life so i know a weld is stronger than the metal and would only crack if not welded correctly.

Now, I really don't want some patch job so I told the dealer I wan't my money back or a new boat. I don't think I am being unreasonable since my family and kids are on this boat. Now I've been told that It really can't sink because of the flotation stuff in the pontoons, but didn't they say something like the Titanic couldn't sink either??

I left a message with my saleslady and told her about the cracks, wanting my money back, or a new boat and would like a call back. I get a call back from someone in the service department and called me and said "Barbara (saleslady) told me to call you and you were having a problem with your boat!!!! Really, the saleslady wouldn't call me?? So that pisses me off further and ask to speak with the owner and was told he is out and they would give him the message.

ok, that was me venting. had this boat for less than 2 months. Now i'm looking at missing the summer.

Am I being unrealistic to ask for my money back or another boat?? Has anybody else had similar problems with the RPT toons? Had pontoons patched??

--tom

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral
Re: New Sylvan 8522 CNF with RPT tubes Cracked welds

I would doubt they will replace the boat, new toon, yes, and no idea on lost time, I would ask about a free replacment boat while yours is being fixed.

Treker57

Petty Officer 2nd Class

If they will talk to you then I would be contacting Sylvan directly. Dealers and salespeople can be hit or miss as far as the way they treat you, some companies well go the mile to help you other will slam the door and pretend they don't konw you. New boat I think would be a long shot, but I know that if I owned Sylvan I would be doing my best to make things right ASAP

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral

One thing I would of all ready of done is to have the boat sitting on their lot and would be having a face to face talk with some one.

Treker57

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Maybe a very close face to face, eat a bunch of garlic too

WaterDR

Senior Chief Petty Officer

As a Sylvan, RPT owner, this post has my attention and will watch this situation closely. I wish you the best.

They are under NO legal obligation of any sort, to replace the boat and it is likely that it will never, ever happen.

My brother bought a brand-new 40k car and the engine block cracked at 750 miles and they would not even replace the car. They gave him a loaner and a new motor.

If it were me, I would consider hiring a laywer if they don't come to a resolution fast. I have free legal access as it is a benefit at work and use the service from time to time. It has been a great help. Having a dealer get a letter from a laywer can provide a lot of motivation.

BUT, and this is a BIG BUT, remember, this is a warranty issue!!!! This is up to Sylvan and not the retailer. The retailer can be your advocate.

Most likely this will get fixed, but you will experience loss of time with the boat.

The Rooster

Ensign

All good advice, Tom^^^. Try not to make an enemy of your dealer. They didn't build the tubes. Definetly contact Sylvan. Best of luck !!!

rlk

Seaman Apprentice

My neighbor had a similar problem on a different brand of pontoon boat. The dealer would not do anything during the summer claiming he was too busy. During the winter, the manufacturer sent a new pontoon and it was installed. My neighbor lost most all of one summers worth of boating because of his problem.

Bob

tomr50

Seaman Apprentice

Sylvan said I must speak to my dealer so I did, reluctantly. Spoke to the Office manager last night, he in-turn spoke to Sylvan. Bottom line Sylvan will re-weld the cracks. They use a welding company in the DFW area for all their boat lines. The dealer will come pick-up my boat and deliver it to the shop. Really no option of new boat or money refunded. I thought about a lawyer and by the time the dealer's lawyer, Sylvan's lawyers and my lawyer got it settled I would be a very old man. Plus the money to fight. Re-welding would definitely be the fastest turnaround. No time-line given but The way the dealer spoke it would be a quick turnaround.

I will ask them to test, check all welds on the toons and see if any thing else has happened. Dealer/Sylvan seem to want to make this right just not the way I want it. I may be unrealistic and know they have no legal obligation except to "fix" it.

It could have been much worse for them/me had the leaks been larger. Liability issues, "pain and suffering" (don't just love that one).

Thanks for all the posts. I don't want to make an "enemy" of my dealer but I've had issues with the dealer ever since they got my down payment. Felt like walking away and getting my down payment back but I stuck with them.

lakegeorge

Sylvan said I must speak to my dealer so I did, reluctantly. Spoke to the Office manager last night, he in-turn spoke to Sylvan. Bottom line Sylvan will re-weld the cracks. They use a welding company in the DFW area for all their boat lines. The dealer will come pick-up my boat and deliver it to the shop. Really no option of new boat or money refunded. I thought about a lawyer and by the time the dealer's lawyer, Sylvan's lawyers and my lawyer got it settled I would be a very old man. Plus the money to fight. Re-welding would definitely be the fastest turnaround. No time-line given but The way the dealer spoke it would be a quick turnaround.

I will ask them to test, check all welds on the toons and see if any thing else has happened. Dealer/Sylvan seem to want to make this right just not the way I want it. I may be unrealistic and know they have no legal obligation except to "fix" it.

It could have been much worse for them/me had the leaks been larger. Liability issues, "pain and suffering" (don't just love that one).

Thanks for all the posts. I don't want to make an "enemy" of my dealer but I've had issues with the dealer ever since they got my down payment. Felt like walking away and getting my down payment back but I stuck with them.

There are several people on the other pontoon site with the same problem that you are having. If you get any more leaks then I would talk to a Lawyer. Those tubes seem to have a serious leak problem.

WaterDR

There are a lot more people too w/o any problems, though, I think there are a lot more problems with this design than with other manufacturers. Looks like the dealer is trying to get it fixed. Sylcvan does not need the bad publicity and they have advertised the crap out of these toons.

As to a lawyer, don;t get me wrong. I have twice seen a lawyer recently and both times they explained my options and neither time did I get the laywer officially involved in the situation.

About 15 years ago, however, I sued Chrysler and settled out of court. I had major problems with a new car and got tired of all the crap I was put through. When the lawyer notified Chrysler, the dealer refused to speak to me any further. They gave me all my money back, paid my legal fees, and paid me back all my payments. It took 3 or 4 months and was a pain.

Again, use a lawyer if needed for advice and perhaps a little coaxing. Just be weary of what can happen. Make sure you ask the lawyer about them.

BTW, is your dealer in the state of MN by any chance?

The Rooster

Ensign

Sounds like great news Tom. Hopefully you'll be back on the water by July 4th !!!

tomr50

Seaman Apprentice

Well, the dealer came and picked it up today. After closer inspection one of the cracks was about a foot long. oh boy. Will be interesting to see what the shop has to say.........

5150abf

Vice Admiral

As I say, it isn't the problem it is how it is dealt with so wait and see how they deal with this but I really don't think you are getting a new boat.

I have welded pontoons for 25 and can tell if tthere is one thing aluminum does really well it is crack, not saying it isn't a defect but these things happenand repairing it is a completely legitimate fix and won't compromise the boat at all.

As others have said, stay calm and approach this without ranting too much or saying the word "Lawyer", you will get alot farther if you do.

Keep us informed with what they do.

Treker57

Petty Officer 2nd Class

On one of the other forums it seems as if Sylvan is a real pain to deal with, and thier toons (tubes) seem to be in question along with the furniture. On the bright side motors seem fine

tomr50

Seaman Apprentice

Well, they re-welded it. Boat gets back today so I will be curious how it looks. As long as it never cracks again, I will be a happy boater. Dealer has taken care of my other issues as well. So I am hoping for a happy ending...

Rancherlee

Chief Petty Officer

Personally I'd go on a "thrilling" rough water ride and see if you can "loosen up" any other welds. I've looked closely at RPT toobs and I honestly don't think they used heavy enough material or enough supports for these to be reliable in the long run. Aluminum welds don't like flexing and thin, unsupported, metal like that is prone to flex.

5150abf

Vice Admiral

Can't seem to find any really good pictures of the tubes, I have seen them before but wanted to look at them and see if I can spot any obvious flaws, missed any related threads.

Sylvan is generally a really good boat, they are a small maker that is still family owned and they recently aquired Starcraft too so Smokercraft, sylvan and Starcraft pontoons are all made in the same facility which by the way is 10 minutes from my house.

In my opinion welding foils/chines on a tube gets you almost the exact same result and you don't have to compromise the tube design to do it, you still have s uper strong round tube as your base.

WaterDR

Can't seem to find any really good pictures of the tubes, I have seen them before but wanted to look at them and see if I can spot any obvious flaws, missed any related threads.

Sylvan is generally a really good boat, they are a small maker that is still family owned and they recently aquired Starcraft too so Smokercraft, sylvan and Starcraft pontoons are all made in the same facility which by the way is 10 minutes from my house.

In my opinion welding foils/chines on a tube gets you almost the exact same result and you don't have to compromise the tube design to do it, you still have s uper strong round tube as your base.

I think that is a very fair assessment!

tomr50

Seaman Apprentice

Well, im giving it a workout this weekend at lake Eufaula in Oklahoma. Great lake, very big. Burned almost a tank of gas Sunday cruising, tubing.

Going out again tomorrow. So far no sign of problems but only time will tell. When I take it out of the water on Thursday I'll inspect closely.

Status
Not open for further replies.