2008 Mercury Outboard Won't Run Without Choke Button Held Down.

lawprelim

Cadet
Hello.

I have rather new Crestliner Pontoon Boat 2006. The outboard is a Mercury 25 horsepower. It looks brand new, but it's a 2008. The boat sat for a few years, and wasn't put on the water for more than 500 hours. But it sat for a few years before I bought it. When starting the motor, I have to press the choke button located on the dash. I hold it down, and it slows to idle speed, and sounds great, really great. But as soon as I let go of the choke, it shuts off as if the fuel just stopped flowing. It doesn't slowely stop, just stops immediately. It starts right up, perfectly, in a second if the choke button is pushed, but it has to be held down. Please somebody help me, I need to dock it tomorrow.

mrbusdriver

Seaman
Re: 2008 Mercury Outboard Won't Run Without Choke Button Held Down.

Sounds like the carbs need cleaning and adjustment

Jlawsen

Master Chief Petty Officer

If the shutdown is immediate like turning off the key, then I suspect the problem is in the key switch. If it stumbles a litle first then stops like it ran out of gas then floats, fuel pump or possibly a bad primer bulb. Could even be something as simple as a clogged fuel tank vent.

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral

What dose it do when you open it up, and have you tryed running a bit of sea foam.

lncoop

Vice Admiral

Could very well be carbs since it's been sitting up for so long, but have you tried using the fast idle? I know my 2001 Merc prefers a little time with the fast idle revved a bit before she'll warm up and smooth out. She's good to go all day after that. BTW, I'm pretty sure what you have is not a choke but an enricher. Do you engage it by pushing in the key?

lawprelim

Cadet

Well, I pulled out all the old gas, and put in 5 gallons of super unleaded, as well as a can of carb cleaner. It is still the same, no change at all. The button for choking is above the key, and it's a little red button. I would like to check out the key switch. I propped a sledgehammer against it and let it run for a very long time. When I open it up, it sounds great. But it will shut right off in gear when I release that button. This engine looks brand new. It does not have many miles on it. I'll look into sea foam. I have never heard of it. Right now I'll try anything. Thanks for the help.

Jeep Man

Commander

Super unleaded isn't going to clean much better than regular gas. Carb cleaner will take some time to work when mixed with fuel. If it's gummed up, disassembly may be required.

Triphammer

Seaman

Little red button above the key? Are you sure thats not the dead man switch? Where do you clip the red semi circle clip attached to the springy red cord?

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral

I belive thats a enricher buttion. That gives it a touch more gas when you push it in and its sounding more and more like a stuck needle valve and float problem. But the cleaners may clear it up.

lawprelim

Cadet

Little red button above the key? Are you sure thats not the dead man switch? Where do you clip the red semi circle clip attached to the springy red cord?

GEEZ OH MAN ! That's it, the previous owner didn't give it to me, so I didn't know that it was required. Man! Triphammer, thanks very much. Everyone, thank you for your time and your help.