24 ft harris kayot 150 hp mercury top speed...any guesses?

corysmith17

Recruit
I have a 2000 24 ft harris kayot...3 years ago i repowered her with a 150hp merc...ran goood at least i thought...turns out i have been running on 4 out of 6 cylinders..lol...top speed actual gps was 33.3 MPH...skined underside with 1/4 inch plastic and orderded new switch box to make fire on all 6...CANT WAIT TO SEE WHAT MY TOP SPEED WILL BE NOW!..Any guesses....also the fuel mileage was horrible 3/4 mile to a gallon...that should improve as well.....:D
FYI BOAT IS ONLY RATED FOR A 120 HP

5150abf

Vice Admiral
Re: 24 ft harris kayot 150 hp mercury top speed...any guesses?

I think you are lucky the engine wasn't running right, it was probably making what the baot is rated for, now you will be 25% over powered which is quite a bit.

You will probably pick up a few mph, well until the transom fails, then the boat will go much slower which is good, that way you can look into the lake and see if you can see your engine on the bottom.

It is like having a table rated for 100 lbs and you put 125 on it, it will probabaly hold it for awhile but it is going to wear it out alot sooner and it will eventually break from being over stressed, with boats that is normally at the highest stress lever or full throttle, you also open yourself up for all kinds of litigation should you be in an accident.

Keep a close eye on your transom for any cracking.

corysmith17

Recruit

the transom has been reinforced,not a issue...gained 7 mph... in 2 footers,cant wait to see what she does in ideal conditions!!!!

WaterDR

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I would have guessed 40. BUT, I would never do what you are doing. First, I can't imagine what an insurance claim would look like. Second, selling that thing will be a real trick. Re-sale would be a bit harder.

On that note, google "fast pontoons". There are a some running on twin 300's doing 100 mph.