That First Scratch/Dent Hurts the Worst !

Infidel

Cadet
Second time out with the new boat and we were retrieving right at dusk. Complicating things was a 15+ MPH crosswind as I did the approach to the trailer. It's kinda like crosswind landing in an airplane I suppose, you have to crab into the wind on final, then right before you go on the trailer, you straighten out and go on the bunks. You have to keep power on the whole way so you have steerage. The new pontoon trailer has some upright guides that the toons have to straddle, and the padded sides face the inside lifting strakes.

Thought I had it made then felt a little bump and the boat missed the mark a bit, not centering up on the trailer. So I backed off and shot another approach, this time it went right on. As we were wiping it down, I found a sharp scratch with raised edges about a foot long, on the lower front of the left toon. Sh&t!! Well these things happen sooner or letter -- I really would have preferred the LATER though....

Crawling under the deck this morning, I found the culprit. The guide uprights only have the padding on the outside, where they normally contact the toon. But the backside just has the square steel tube attached to the trailer frame. On this one, it looks like one corner had a sharp burr, probably from the chop saw. The paint didn't do much to dull it. It cut into that aluminum like a cutting tool. Spent about an hour with a dremel tool and some wet or dry abrasive paper to blend the sharp edges of the scratch. Its better but it still gives me the tight jaws when I look at it. If I had been just a few inches to the left, I would have contacted the padded side and no harm done. Go forward plan is to wrap some additional rubber padding all around the uprights, so BOTH sides are protected.

So I got this flash of mental brilliance after the fact: If you have a new boat & trailer, crawl all over it, looking for any rough edges you might contact, if your approach is just a little off, or you get some wave action just as you go on the trailer. Do this BEFORE your first launch.

Question for you seasoned experts - is there anything to touch up aluminum and get back to the gray anodized finish, instead of the bright spot where it was sanded & polished? Also, as I am new to aluminum boats, how much wear and tear do you typically get on the toons? I know some people beach them, and also you have your inevitable dock bumps. So I guess they get a little scarred up after a while?? We are always ultra careful with our stuff, so this was a bummer.

Happy Boating!

Infidel

5150abf

Vice Admiral
Re: That First Scratch/Dent Hurts the Worst !

I the end it is just a scratch and won't hurt the baot at all and in a week you will forget all about it but I know how you feel, I painted my fishing boat and the very first time out it hit the dock and scuffed the paint, ti was gonna happen eventually, you just got it out of the way.

I have tried literally everything to get scratches to blend, toilet paper, card board you name it and it can be done sometimes but even with all my experience, 25 years building pontoons, at best it is 50/50, I would suggest you just leave it alone now and it will age and blend on its own but the more you mess with it the more it will stick out.

It is just a scratch.

cc350

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Use Bon ami and a 6" buffer. Only thing out there to make the toons look new.

muskiemike12

Petty Officer 2nd Class

+1 on Bon Ami. That stuff is great, but can be hard to find. Use the cleaning powder.

Infidel

Cadet

Unfortunately, there's no amount of Bon Ami or buffing that will take that scratch out. It' more like a groove. I guess if it started to crack I could get a talented welder to run a bead down it. Skin is only .050" thick I think.

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral

You may want to go to a set of gides like these.

And yep it sure dose. I recently had a a new scratch add to my old 88 boat, and its the first one since I have owned it. And makes 3 on it total.

trailer side.jpg

brace.jpg

Infidel

Cadet

Hawker, those long guides look like the best solution. Maybe I can buy another pair of uprights from the trailer factory or weld up some from your pattern. What is a good source for the black outdoor carpeting that they use on the bunks?

Infidel

5150abf

Vice Admiral

A scratch won't ever crack so don't worry about that and being only .50 si another reason not to mess with it, you will get the scratch out but the metal will only be half as thick when you are done.

Like I said, in a week you will forget all about it, play with the sereo and take your mind off of it, it is just a scratch and certianly not the only one it will ever have.

Haerterich

Cadet

I feel your pain! Third time out with our new boat, small burn in the carpet!!! You get a boat that can hold a lot of people and suddenly you have too much traffic and people who don't think about what they are doing. Why do I buy nice things... I'll get over it. We love to socialize with our friends out on the water. Just gets you mad.

JEFFBUZZZ

Cadet

me and my son went in halfs on a new suntracker pontoon its a 20 fishin barge about a month old .he took it out last weekend with some of his friends ,and when they were leaving the dock they let the current pull them into the motors of a big boat that was docked ,it pushed in 2 side panels and scratched the whole side about 4 ft ,all the damage was on the panels ,toons are ok .it sucks nice new boat with big dents in it

bigdee

Commander

It may not make you feel better right now but after the newness wears off and you pick up a few more dings and scratches you will enjoy your boat more. The priority of owning a pontoon should be fun and relaxation....isn't that what you bought your pontoon for?

JEFFBUZZZ

Cadet

its still fun just sucks its only month old