1993 Lowe 185 Pontoon - Replace/repair door latch ideas?

EricJRW

Chief Petty Officer
The door "latches" are nothing more than an aluminum rod (on the door) attached horizontally which them fits into an aluminum "tab" (for lack of a better word - it's a bent piece of Al that the rod fits behind) on the door frame (to keep the door closed). I've already had to repair one (bought 3/8 Al rod and made my own replacement rod), and now another has broke. I could make another repair, but I'm wondering if there is a better way to do this? It seems the couple of rivets that hold this together is not the best method either.

Any other options/ideas out there?

I thought I had a picture, but can't find it. If you think it will help, I'll take one this weekend.

Thanks in advance,

Eric

BobGinCO

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1993 Lowe 185 Pontoon - Replace/repair door latch ideas?

How about ********?

I can't believe this is not letting me type in that site...
www dot Over-tons dot com (remove the dash)

item 80020

Last edited:

Big Bubba

Senior Chief Petty Officer

EricJRW,
I own a 1991, 20 foot, Pontoon boat made by Lowe and I had the same set up as you with the bayonet aluminum latch and mine broke off one at a time but I just went and bought this, http://www.amazon.com/Marine-DS1LDP-DOOR-ANTI-RATTLE-Misc/dp/B002FVT7I8, for each of my three doors/gates at my local pontoon boat dealer for under $6.00 a piece and replaced mine as mine broke not all at one time. I just replaced my last gate just last week with one of these and they work Great, but there is a left and a right so you will have to purchase the correct one that you need. Hope this helps you out.

EricJRW

Chief Petty Officer

Bob, I like the look of that, and it gave me some new search terms. Look what I found right here at iBoats (guess that's why links to other vendors get the star treatment): http://www.iboats.com/Pontoon-Gate-Latch/dm/*******.863274880--session_id.167195565--view_id.40110

Big Bubba... I saw those on the rack at my boat shop and I could not figure them out. Now I get it... There is also a "door stop" used with that style. I just need to check and see how much lift is on my doors. Did you find having something on the deck gets in the way? That's the only thing I'm not crazy about... One more thing to stub a toe on... But at least they look like a soft material.

Thanks for the ideas guys.

Big Bubba

EricJRW,
Nope, you would think they would get in the way but they actually don't to my surprise and they are mounted right at the square railing in the corner so nope that door stop would not get in the way of your big toe, not for me anyway and they are alot cheaper than the first one that Bob showed you. Those are about $13.00 a piece versus under $6.00 for the door stop I am talking about.

EricJRW

Chief Petty Officer

My shop has them for $4.99... Definitely going to consider them. In fact I realized those are meant to be door stops to hold the door open. However, even on a new boat (South Bay) they are using them to keep the door closed, and a bumper like thing to keep it open. I too like the cost aspect. Several latches ($10 price range) were getting bad reviews. The $20 latches (dead-bolt style) look better, but I'll need three so I'm looking to save money if I can.

Big Bubba

EricJRW,
Yeah, I have those door stops on all three of my gates now and they do good to keep the door closed on the water and towing to and from the boat launch to the home. So they do work good in my opinion and are cheaper than the latch style your talking about.

Big Bubba

EricJRW,
Yeap, I have the bumper stops as well that were already in my boat when I bought it used a few years back and those door stops are used to keep the door closed when not using the gate and work Great!!!!:)