pontoon trolling motor install

Psandherr

Cadet
does anyone know of good videos so i can get an idea of what im getting myself into by installing a trolling motor on my toon.

mrbusdriver

Seaman
Re: pontoon trolling motor install

Nothing to it, just make sure that the unit is in the middle of the deck, that it clears the deck when it swings down. I did mine alone but it would be easier with help. Drill the holes, just make sure nothing is in the way under the deck when you drill. Also make sure that it isn't in the way of the trailer bow stops, mine fits in between the two uprights on the trailer.

Psandherr

Cadet

okay but how do i connect to the battery or where does the battery go can i use my boat battery?

mrbusdriver

Seaman

What you will need is a circuit breaker, mine is a 60 amp.from Minn Kota, on my boat I didn't want to run 6 ga. wire to the back of the boat $$$$$. So I bought a Rubber Maid tote with locking handles and mounted it on the bow with wood screws. then put the deep cycle battery and the circuit breaker in the tote. You will need a quick disconnect plug for the motor, I drilled a hole in the tote and mounted the plug in the face of it. The circuit breaker comes with wiring diagrams on how to hook it up to the battery. Took around a hour to mount the troller and the tote, not much to it. Good luck and have fun with the boat.

5150abf

Vice Admiral

Ideally you woudl want a seperate battery for the troller and boat, that way you can't run your starter dead trolling around the lake.

My troller came with a big breaker but hey can be had here at iboats and it is super simple to hook up a troller, it is only 2 wires.

The first thing you will want to do is find where you want it by setting it on different spot on the deck until you get the one that works making sure it will deploy and retract without hitting anything.

Busdriver has a real nice set up, the trollers pull alot of power and you want the source as close as you can get it and that will give you your second battery too.