Pontoon trolling motor help

Psandherr

Cadet
Hi guys im getting a pontoon with fishing seats in the back so i dont want a bow mounted trolling motor because it would be hard to control any ideas on what other options i have.

2286 sweetwater fc

22 ft

60 hp merc

tommytoon

Cadet
Re: Pontoon trolling motor help

get a bow mount trolling motor with a cordless foot controll and your ready. run it from anywhere on the vessel!!

tommytoon

Cadet

mine was 800.00 new but check craigs list or ebay maybe find one for some swiss instead of cheddar LOL

XtremeCJ

Recruit

I just recently put the MinnKota Powerdrive V2 Bow Mount on my 22' toon and it works great. Comes with a 18' corded foot pedal that reaches easily to the back, or you can get wireless pedal and / or handheld remote control.

Psandherr

Cadet

I just recently put the MinnKota Powerdrive V2 Bow Mount on my 22' toon and it works great. Comes with a 18' corded foot pedal that reaches easily to the back, or you can get wireless pedal and / or handheld remote control.

which is better the remote or the wireless pedal

also which is the least expensive

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

The wired remote (standard V2) is the cheapest. If the cord isn't long enough, you can cut it, splice in what you need. You might consider running the cord under the deck so you can plug the foot pedal in at the rear and not worry about having the cord laying on the floor..

mrbusdriver

Seaman

Same with the Power Drive got mine this year and I love it, This past Sat. went out fishing in a downpour and sat under the top with the foot controller in the back worked great.

mrbusdriver

Seaman

I have a 18 foot Crest and I bought the Minn Kota Power Drive " Pontoon" It's a 54 pound thrust and it came with the removable bracket. It moves my boat just fine even in the wind. The largest you can get in 12 volt is 55 lb. anything bigger is 24 volt.

5150abf

Vice Admiral

I have a Motor Guide w55 wireless troller, yes they do cost you some cheese but they are worth it, being able to run the boat from anywhere on the boat is really really cool, I have the handheld remote so it is even cooler.

As Busdriver said 55 is as big as you can go without gong to 24 volts and 2 batteries, you probably don't want to go much under that, it takes alot of power to move a toon, especially in the wind.

I have mine on a 16' v bottom fishing boat and it will run it up to 3 mph which is whipping for a troller.

Psandherr

Cadet

how many pounds of thrust did you get

also 18 ft? for the corded pedal

CJ

You have the same trolling motor I just bought for my pontoon. Although I have not mounted it yet I am looking at the directions and it looks like when I extract the motor from the water the 48 shaft is too long for the 2 ft ledge on the front deck. Did u angle yours? Is it ok to angle it ? Thoughts anyone?

Mine has a 54" shaft and I have to leave my door open when mine is stowed on the bow. (I have a quick mount so if I am not fishing that day it is not mounted on the bow)

Last edited:

Wet_Dream

Cadet

I just purchased and had the dealer install a 55lb 54" shaft for my Bennington 24SLi (22')- I had the dealer install the 1/2 door in the front. This was the recommended set-up for my boat. My motor is installed in the center of the deck. I went with the Power Drive V2 - corded foot pedal.

Shawn

Todd4

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The half door (bottom half of door cut out) is the way to go. If not, can you mount it at an angle? Yes, V-bottom bass boats do it all the time. If you can mount it so it will deploy and stow completely, the angle will not matter. But I suspect you will be hanging off the front quite a bit. Be sure you can still trailer it, too.

Todd

The half door (bottom half of door cut out) is the way to go. If not, can you mount it at an angle? Yes, V-bottom bass boats do it all the time. If you can mount it so it will deploy and stow completely, the angle will not matter. But I suspect you will be hanging off the front quite a bit. Be sure you can still trailer it, too.

Todd

Thanks, glad to know angling it is an option. what did you use to cut out the bottom half of door (sawzall?). I bought that panel that allows you to lock the trolling motor down, so that should secure it, I guess worse case scenarion if I need to remove it each time and put it back in the truck I could do that

Todd4

Petty Officer 2nd Class

My boat came with a "trolling motor" gate (door) where the bottom was already cut out.
Your manuafacturer may sell a matching replacement gate for your boat.
Some have cut their gate and raised the bottom tube of the gate up, fastening with angle aluminum and rivets. Welding may be an option also.