Trolling Motor for my 24' pontoon boat

BigDVO

Seaman Apprentice
I was wondering if anyone could help me pick out an ideal trolling motor for my 24ft pontoon boat. I am not sure how much thrust I should have for a boat that size. I am interested in the gps electronic anchor ones they have out these days. I also think I would rather have a remote control than the foot control. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

7lazy77

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Trolling Motor for my 24' pontoon boat

If you have done much searching on this topic, you will find that there are MANY variables to take into consideration when trying to determine the thrust you "need". After much research, I decided to go with a MinnKota 70# thrust for my 24' pontoon. I found it used for a good deal since the guy was also wanting the gps anchor unit. It came with the remote & a foot control. Just installed it over the winter & haven't had a chance to use it yet, but I think I will be happy with it.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

How you use it, where you use it and under what wind and water conditions depends on what you need. 55# thrust is the most power you can get in a 12 volt model (one large deep cycle battery required). Anything over that is a 24 volt motor and requires two deep cycle batteries in series. There are lots of remote options in both the MinnKota and MotorGuide series. Only you can make the choices.

5150abf

Vice Admiral

I have run a Motoguide W 55 wireless for 3 years now and love it, it is on my fishing boat but was originally for a toon, it doesn't have the GPS or anyhting but it has been a really good troller.

There really aren't any bad brands, anything you can find that does what you want will be a good one just get the longest shaft you can and as Silvertip said 55 is as big as you can go without jumping to 24 volts.

BigDVO

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks guys. Yes I would like to stick with the 1 deep cycle battery. I guess I will have to get a 55 and hope it does the trick :)

newbie4life

Chief Petty Officer

I wouldn't let the 2 battery thing scare you (24 volts)... I have a Minnkota 80lb thrust, and it moves our 20' pontoon around very well with 7 of us onboard. We can run 3-4 hours at 3-4 mph, or 2-3 hrs at 4-5 mph. In fact... I just bought a second set of batteries to put under a seat on the OTHER side of the pontoon to double our run time. Been working on concealing the wiring over the weekend -- We LOVE the quietness of the electric motor instead of the 40hp two-stroke in the back. Plus, I can charge batteries a HECK of a lot cheaper than I can run the gas engine ...

Just my $.02. :)

BigDVO

Seaman Apprentice

I was thinking about sticking to the one battery system for the ease of re-charging. I was going to get one of those marine battery packs that can be easily removed. Not sure how easy it is to recharge the two battery system. I am new to this so I might be way off.

BigDVO

Seaman Apprentice

I have a mounting question now. My 24' tahoe fish and fun has a rounded front on it with no exposed front deck. However the two corners of the front are exposed quite a bit. Would mounting the trolling motor off to one side cause any problems with a terrova ipilot pulling the boat? I am not sure how I would go about mounting to the center unless I kept the front door open all the time??? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

junkman41

Petty Officer 1st Class

I seen where a guy cut off the bottom half of the front gate and mounted the trolling motor in the middle of the pontoon. It did'nt look bad, and he said it worked great for him.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Here is how you do it.

BowGateModification.jpg

TrollerDeployed.jpg

cemcrae53

Cadet

A+ on your gate conversion Silvertip. Another prime example of the KISS system.

junkman41

Petty Officer 1st Class

very nice job on the gate...